50 hr service question

/ 50 hr service question #1  

ToolBoxTavern

Silver Member
Tractor
4wd 4025 Mahindra
Now that I am at 49.7 hrs I am sitting here looking at the owners manual and see that at 50 hrs the only thing that needs to be done is

Cooling system
check coolant level
check radiator hose connections
check fan belt
Transmission
check oil
clean strainer
Wheels and tires
check air pressure
torque wheel nuts
Front axle
check oil level
Hydraulics
change suction filter
Grease all nipples

Sounds all fine and dandy to me. Thought I might have to change the oil and fuel filter, but it doesnt call for it.

Ok heres my problem. Cleaning the strainer/screen on the transmission. Isnt all the tranny oil gonna come out when I take that off to clean it or am I wrong?

Oh yea I have a 4wd 4025.

Last edited:
   / 50 hr service question #2  
Now that I am at 49.7 hrs I am sitting here looking at the owners manual and see that at 50 hrs the only thing that needs to be done is

Cooling system
check coolant level
check radiator hose connections
check fan belt
Transmission
check oil
clean strainer
Wheels and tires
check air pressure
torque wheel nuts
Front axle
check oil level
Hydraulics
change suction filter
Grease all nipples

Sounds all fine and dandy to me. Thought I might have to change the oil and fuel filter, but it doesnt call for it.

Ok heres my problem. Cleaning the strainer/screen on the transmission. Isnt all the tranny oil gonna come out when I take that off to clean it or am I wrong?

Oh yea I have a 4wd 4025.

I get your point, sure doesn't make sense. I would change the engine oil & filter check everything else and then do the hydraulic, transmission, and front axil at 100 hrs.

/ 50 hr service question
I get your point, sure doesn't make sense. I would change the engine oil & filter check everything else and then do the hydraulic, transmission, and front axil at 100 hrs.

Thanx.

Called dealer and talked to someone in service. He said dont mess with that. If you bring it to us we are going to change the hydro/suction filter, oil filter, top off all fluids, grease, adjust the clutch and give it back to you unless you request something else.

So I figure I can do that easy! Hopefully I make it over there soon and get the filters and fluids to top off everything after changing them.

O and YES if I pull that screen strainer on the tranny all the oil will come out.

/ 50 hr service question #4  
   / 50 hr service question
Not if you are REAL FAST ... !!!!!!!! [ :) ]

LOL!!!!

I can still remember when I was a teen and thought it was a good idea to do some tranny work on a car and didnt know what a but plug was untill all the fluid came out of the tranny. I was thinkin flash back here.

/ 50 hr service question #6  
Not at all sure about Mahindra, but have heard the best way to do it on Kubota is to have a tapered rubber stopper to shove in as soon as you pull the screen filter. I've heard even a wine cork will work. I think the larger end needs to be about 1" tapering to fit in the hole maybe 5/8" or 3/4", and be maybe 1"-2" long. You will lose some fluid, depending how quick you are, but can easily top it off when you're done. I have not done this personally yet but plan to when I reach my hrs. Hope this helps.

/ 50 hr service question
Not at all sure about Mahindra, but have heard the best way to do it on Kubota is to have a tapered rubber stopper to shove in as soon as you pull the screen filter. I've heard even a wine cork will work. I think the larger end needs to be about 1" tapering to fit in the hole maybe 5/8" or 3/4", and be maybe 1"-2" long. You will lose some fluid, depending how quick you are, but can easily top it off when you're done. I have not done this personally yet but plan to when I reach my hrs. Hope this helps.

Great idea. Had one person suggest that I hook up a hose to one of the remotes and let the hydraulic fluid pump out into buckets until it quit pumping and by then it would be almost empty. Then after cleaning screen I could just pour the hydraulic fluid back in.

/ 50 hr service question
Went to dealer today. Once I was face to face it pretty much boiled down to the salesman, parts guy, and the service man agreed on change the engine oil, oil filter, suction/hydraulic filter, top off fluids, and adjust the clutch at 50hrs. They also said do not worry about the tranny strainer/screen. I almost had them all alone and then together when they answered. Some of the things they told me they disagreed and agreed with things in the manual........... They was actually shocked when I said well the manual doesnt say to change the oil or the oil filter at 50 hours. It says to do it at a 100hrs and then every 200 hours after that. I even had them pull out the manual and look at it, but they stuck to their guns on what I should and shouldnt do.

/ 50 hr service question #9  
Kubota used to call for replacing oil and filters at 50 hours and I believe bumped in up to be Politically Correct and "save the planet" B.S. Many owners pull some serious metal shavings out that were left over from milling operations during the first fluid changings. Your dealer only cares things will stay together long enough to pass the warranty period. I would replace the oil/hydraulic fluids and their filters even though you can get a couple hundred dollars invested. What is longevity to your tractor worth?

/ 50 hr service question
Great idea. Had one person suggest that I hook up a hose to one of the remotes and let the hydraulic fluid pump out into buckets until it quit pumping and by then it would be almost empty. Then after cleaning screen I could just pour the hydraulic fluid back in.

Would it hurt the hydraulic filter to run dry?