Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #1  

MarkF48

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2216
Most of my snow clearing today I did in 4WD, but later on when I was just moving some of the piles around I disengaged the 4WD and used just 2 wheel with chains on the rear. I was able get moving forward OK, but if I got up against a pile of snow the tractor would pretty much just come to a stop and neither rear wheel would attempt to spin. I could stop and engage the differential lock and get the wheels to turn and regain traction. In 4WD the front wheels would spin if they lost traction. My understanding of how a differential works is that one wheel should try to get traction and it might spin while doing so. Last summer while pulling some small stumps at least one wheel would try to spin and dug up some dirt if the tractor couldn't move forward.

Is it conceivable that while using two wheel rear that neither wheel would spin if neither could get traction in snow/ice? The manual doesn't really say much on the differential operation other than using the lock.

Tractor just turned 37 hours today.

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #2  
When in two-wheel mode, one rear wheel should spin if stuck. In four-wheel mode, one front and one rear wheel should spin. If using differential lock in four-wheel mode, both rear wheels and one front wheel should spin.
I just stay in four wheel unless running on dry pavement.

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear
I kind of thought one should spin. I thought about the clutch slipping, but the pedal has plenty of free play at the top and when a rear tire didn't spin one on the front one did while in 4WD, at least I think. Wouldn't think a clutch would be toast at 37 hours and I'm not one to ride a clutch.

It's going to warm up this coming week, so I guess I'll be taking a good look at the clutch and it's linkage. Maybe something in the linkage froze up in the 19F temps.

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #4  
If in 2WD and in gear, your rear tires should rotate even if there's no forward movement.
Before you call the dealer, I suggest you run the tractor to another pile of snow and try again...make sure you are in gear and your foot is off the clutch. Do increase RPMs a bit as well.
BTW, some range levers (I assume you have a gear shift as well as a range lever) have a neutral position...make sure you're in a range and not neutral.

If those tires still won't turn, I'd say it's time to call your dealer. Even then, read your manual first, if you haven't. Your answer may be in that manual.

Well I think I've got make a call to the dealer. Went out this morning and tried a few things. Ran the bucket up to a snow mound with the tractor in 2 WD. The tractor moved forward a bit, but then stopped. Put the clutch in and engaged the differential lock and again tried the snow bank. This time the left wheel spun, but not right, which lends me to believe there's a problem with the differential gearing, since both wheels should go with the diff locked. Tractor's still under the 5 year warranty, but not having it for the reason I got it (snow) isn't making me too happy. It's had a pretty easy 37 hours mostly towing a trailer of wood, moving some brush, and occasional puling a few small stumps.

Anyone know if Mahindra has had a problem with the differentials?

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #6  
I was talking to my dealer last fall, and asked him what was the biggest problem he had seen with the 16 series. "CLUTCH" he did not even stop to think about it. He blamed it on the operators running in high gear when removing snow. It may just be a weak point. If it is a consistant problem I would think it may be the tractor . I have a small Kubota 2 wheel drive that I have had since 1986, and have moved tons of snow with it and, it still has the original clutch.

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #7  
Jim,

I will second what your dealer said about the clutch on the 16 series. My dealer's opinion is the clutches are too thin for the size tractors. At least in the case of the 2816 and larger. I actually had a clutch issue, but was not related to anything that I had done. Believe it or not Mahindra fixed the issue 6 months after my tractors warranty went out. Go Mahindra!

Woohoo!!!

Went to the dealer today and explained my problem. After me detailing what was going on he thought for a minute and suggested "AIR". He had evidently had a customer with a similar problem and the tractor was brought in thinking the rear end had a major problem, which is what I had thought with mine. One of the service techs had taken it for a spin just before they were going to tear it down and somehow noticed the tire would stop rotating, but the rim was still spinning. The combination of slippery beet juice in the tires and low air pressure allowed the tire bead to break and spin on the rim.

I marked my tires and rims with a dot of red paint and buried the bucket in a snow bank with the clutch out and in low gear. The tractor stopped and from the vantage point of the seat both tires had stopped. Sure as crap the red dots on the right side tire were not aligned any longer. Tire pressure in that tire was about 5lbs., so got it up to 20lbs. that the dealer suggested. Another snow bank test this time got both the tires digging up frozen lawn. The temps being around 18F may have had also not helped and may have contributed to a lower tire pressure. I was really sweating not having the tractor in the winter when I most need it and possibly in the shop for extended time.

This might be worth tossing in the memory banks for what might be a slipping clutch problem also.

Don't know if it's OK to mention a specific dealer, but it's Klem's in Spencer, MA on Rt 9. Great people and great service :thumbsup:

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #9  
Holly Molly Amos. That is one for the books. Never in my life. I'm glad your tractor is OK, and you can push snow again. Being without a tractor in a snow storm is very unsettling. Sometimes it feels good to be just plain wrong about something.

/ Clearing Snow and I've got a Question - 2216 Gear #10  
Good news and a rather strange story...but a happy ending, nevertheless!!