Max28xl/3016 shuttle tranmission and rototiller/flail mower

/ Max28xl/3016 shuttle tranmission and rototiller/flail mower #1  

SBorch

Tractor
9N
I'm thinking about getting a Max28xl or 3016 with gear transmission. Has any one found that the slowest speed on a gear transmission is too fast to use a rototiller or flail mower? I own an 8N and that tractor doesn't have a slow enough speed to consider a rototiller unless I want to make 10 passes. Do I need to buy a hydro trans. instead?

/ Max28xl/3016 shuttle tranmission and rototiller/flail mower #2  
I'm thinking about getting a Max28xl or 3016 with gear transmission. Has any one found that the slowest speed on a gear transmission is too fast to use a rototiller or flail mower? I own an 8N and that tractor doesn't have a slow enough speed to consider a rototiller unless I want to make 10 passes. Do I need to buy a hydro trans. instead?

I have a Max 28xl shuttle and use a 4' tiller behind it and I have not had any issues.

/ Max28xl/3016 shuttle tranmission and rototiller/flail mower #3  
An HST is the "cat's meow" for tilling, but I have found a shuttle will do a good job in nice soil, or in previously busted up soil. In virgin soil, or tough clay, I'd prefer an HST or a gear tractor with a crawl range. The 9N has way too fast of ground speed for a tiller, but will do well with a disc.

/ Max28xl/3016 shuttle tranmission and rototiller/flail mower
Jhasafety1 thanks for the info.,, Dave, are there any ways to get a creeper gear or range in a Mahindra tractors?

/ Max28xl/3016 shuttle tranmission and rototiller/flail mower #5  
There is not a creeper gear option. I've used the Max28 shuttle with a tiller and it works great in our soil, but I for sure prefer the HST for tilling. In fact, I am getting where I prefer the HST for about all chores!

Steve, keep in mind that the Max28XL shuttle does not have an independant PTO. It uses a single stage clutch and is basically transmission driven. So your travel and your PTO use the same clutch. On the 3016 shuttle, the PTO is operated off it's own clutch with a push-button. On the 3016G you can stop the tractor with the foot clutch and the tiller will still run. This is a better situation for many usages including mowing and tilling. That being said, the single clutch setup is simple and works well in most situations.