My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035 #1  

millstreaminn

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 8540, 4800, L39, 7510, Zd28 International 966, Cat 304, Mahindra 4035, Deere 350 and 450, Komatsu D21
So I bought a Mahindra 4035 with a FEl and mechanical shuttle. It had 125 hours on it and (so I was told) has always been stored inside. I bought this tractor sight unseen, and had it delivered to me. From a distance the tractor looks to be brand new. A few surface scratches but nothing to get excited about. Tires look brand new. Once you get up close to it, the quality of the paint on the frame of the tractor is horrible. There is rust starting to come through on several places on the tractor. The bottom of the 3 point hitch lift arms are completely rusted, just like they were never painted. I have tractors that are 8-10 years old that have better paint on the body than this 2 year old one. I'm wondering if this is the finish on all Mahindras?

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035 #2  
No, they are not all like that. Sorry that yours is like that, it makes Mahindra look bad when this happens. :mad: I have 2 Mahindra tractors, 1 built in India and 1 that was built in Japan, both had their frames painted. Basically no rust after 8 years. If it makes you feel any better, I have seen the lack of paint on every make. I don't know why this gets through the assembly line, but it does and it does occasionally with every manufacturer. :( :( :(

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035
It's just that I kinda like the tractor but every time I look at it up close, it looks like a very tight budget model... :(

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035 #4  
I guess I would not be surprised about the 3 pt hitch arms, and those should be easy enough to put a "Farmer Paint Job" on. But as the body is metal, seems like most of it could be removed fairly easily and repainted.

I won't mention the other P word again.

Edit: I should have said, at least you have the option to paint the body since it's metal. You are right, does not make the condition of the factory paint acceptable.

BUT!

I was raised with "Never Buy sight Unseen" as a Law. I made this mistake after years of sticking to my Pappies teachings, in 2008 when I bought a Subaru WRX from a guy in Alabama. Needless to say, I got what I deserved. Having known better from the start, the lesson stung that much more.

If you are happy with the tractor otherwise, and you feel you paid a fair price,,,, well.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I know it can be repainted, but it shouldn't have to be. How this tractor ever got off the production line is beyond me. I can see this being a real ugly 5 year old tractor if not attended to...

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035 #6  
If the tractor was trailered or run in salt, it doesn't take much time to make it look bad.. I moved up here in Northern Michigan in the winter of 2003, using my Dodge truck and a 16' trailer. Even though I tarped/covered up stuff as best I could... anything that even got a little of the salt spray on it during the trip was degraded quickly.. I had a rim on one side of my splitter I had to repaint, the base of my table saw, part of my drill press, etc.... I even had to strip/sandblast/paint the trailer... That may be what happened to yours.. Clean it up as best you can and put a good coat of Rustoleum Satin Black on it.... and it will be good to go...

If the tractor was trailered or run in salt, it doesn't take much time to make it look bad.. I moved up here in Northern Michigan in the winter of 2003, using my Dodge truck and a 16' trailer. Even though I tarped/covered up stuff as best I could... anything that even got a little of the salt spray on it during the trip was degraded quickly.. I had a rim on one side of my splitter I had to repaint, the base of my table saw, part of my drill press, etc.... I even had to strip/sandblast/paint the trailer... That may be what happened to yours.. Clean it up as best you can and put a good coat of Rustoleum Satin Black on it.... and it will be good to go...

The tractor was on the road for less than 2 hours. It did have salt spray on it and it was washed the following day. I took some pics tonight, and I will post them tomorrow. If anyone can say they look like a 2 year old tractor should look, I will be surprised. The finish on this 2 year Mahindra is far worse than my 10-15 year old Kubotas.

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035 #8  
The tractor was on the road for less than 2 hours. It did have salt spray on it and it was washed the following day. I took some pics tonight, and I will post them tomorrow. If anyone can say they look like a 2 year old tractor should look, I will be surprised. The finish on this 2 year Mahindra is far worse than my 10-15 year old Kubotas.

I think he was referring to the previous owner. Maybe he trailered it often.

Maybe, but my 10 year old L39 Kubota backhoe was trailered often with NONE of the rust the Mahindra has. I took pictures last night and put them on the Ipad then I left the Ipad home.............. Even the the metal screens on the front and sides of the tractor are rusted. Like I said, I'll post pics.

/ My thoughts and some ???'s Mahindra 4035 #10  
Here's my :2cents: and only my :2cents: It really sounds like you are not happy with your tractor purchase. A fair chance that you never will be happy with it. Before you take a lot of time and energy trying to fix the problems that you feel that you have, sell it now before you are to vested in it. Go purchase a tractor that YOU ACTUALLY look at and will be happy with. Most of the time, if you aren't happy right away, you are never going to be happy with it. You will pick this tractor apart until the day that it's gone. Be done with it now and move on. Life is too short. :(

Like I said, just my :2cents: ;)