Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal?

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #31  
Since the loader looks so good and is of the quick detach type, my guess is the loader sat in the barn and it had a big honking snow blade on the front and a salt box on the back. As I sit here in a snow storm marveling at the huge JD going past with a 10 foot pusher on the front. Look on the back side of the front bumper and see if it looks like something was bolted on. Likely would have also had a subframe bolted on.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #32  
That's a lot of rust for a two year old tractor.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal?
I have to agree that I think it was covered in manure while it sat and when they cleaned it up to sell it, that's what was left. The manure caked on would do a number on that. On the flip side, I am stoked the loader looks great! :D

I can't agree on it being covered in manure. The rusted parts are where the metal skins cover the lower sides of the engine and the lift arms on the back. There is NO rust to the rims, or the belly of the tractor. One would think if they caked the higher points of the tractor, they also would have caked the lower parts too. Actually in one of the pictures you can see a bit of manure stuck to the rear tires of the tractor. That was from me cleaning out the beef barn.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #34  
Well everyone has their idea of what caused the rust, and I don't know for sure, but whatever caused it, I will say this: The first owner certainly neglected to stop and repair the damage. That much is for sure.

James K0UA

Since the loader looks so good and is of the quick detach type, my guess is the loader sat in the barn and it had a big honking snow blade on the front and a salt box on the back. As I sit here in a snow storm marveling at the huge JD going past with a 10 foot pusher on the front. Look on the back side of the front bumper and see if it looks like something was bolted on. Likely would have also had a subframe bolted on.

No, I can't agree with that either. I looked the tractor over extensively after the rust really started to bug me. I was even looking for evidence that someone put a new loader, tires and rims on an older tractor frame. There is that much of a difference in them. I found nothing to indicate that happened. As a matter of fact, I'm certain the loader has never been off this tractor.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #36  
My Kubota L3400 is 9 years old and not a single spot of rust.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #37  
When using a tractor to clean out the horse barn it is not like moving dirt. We use a manure fork to pick out the manure and wet bedding. It is loaded in buckets which are then dumped into the FEL bucket. From there it is dumped into a dumpster. You cannot scoop it out of the stalls with the tractor. There is very little dust created and manure does not cake on the tractor. Even cleaning out loafing sheds does not cover the tractor with manure.

My Kubota L3400 is 9 years old and not a single spot of rust.

I know. I have 6 Kubotas, the oldest being around 8 years and 2,000 hours. No rust either.

/ Rust pics of my 2 year old Mahindra 4035... Is this normal? #40  
Am I missing the point here? These are tools, use them, take care of them and paint in the off season. Tractor, not trailer queen!!

Our 1635 sees a lot of road duty, has a bit of rust, but will be getting painted this year. Road salt and brine are hard on everything

The little rust on that Mahindra is nothing to worry about. Nothing sanding and paint wont fix.