Tractor
    Mahindra 4035 HST

Default 4035 - Operating RPMs for HST

Just wondering about anyone else out there with an HST - esp a 4035 - what RPM range do you find yourself operating at?

My 4035 seems very responsive (forward / reverse, in low, med or high) when I am around PTO speed or higher (really just ever higher when I am in the road in high trying to get somewhere - or when I am pulling the 2 bottom plow).

Below that RPM level - it just seems very slow to respond to pedal controls.

Anyone else seeing anything like that? or just?

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035 HST, Bradco 485 Backhoe, WoodMaxx WM8M Chipper, Mule 610, ASW TW650

Default Re: 4035 - Operating RPMs for HST

Now I only have about a dozen hours on my 4035 HST, but I too find that around the PTO speed mark (2000 engine RPM?) is where I seem to do most of the work. Don't have any experience with any road driving or pulling something like a 2 bottom plow.

Typically when I think it is responding slowing (not moving as fast as I expected) it is because I have it in Low or Medium instead of in Medium or High where I 'thought' I was.

Martin

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

I operate well below PTO speed 90% of the time.. It just depends on what I am doing and how responsive I want the FEL controls to be. Usually 1800 to 2000 rpm for most things. sometimes even less. The hydrostat itself responds fine to the lower RPM's.
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Tractor
    mahindra 4035

I run my 4035 shuttle in the 2000 rpm range most of the time doing light yard and snow removal with the fel.I notice a big diff. when running in 2nd to 3rd gear

Tractor
    Mahindra 4035 HST

So it sounds like the 2000ish RPM range is a sweet spot for this tractor. I see alot of people running alot lower - but maybe something unique to these setups

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - John Deere 42" Geardrive w/bagger purchased 2012 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2006

In my experience, which has been very limited, it has always seemed hydrostatic equipment operates with less long term issues at higher engine RPMs. I have been told the more "whining" a hydrostat is doing, the more wear the operator is causing. Going to a higher RPM and/or lower gear will minimize the "whining" noises and the wear inside the hydrostat. The way I understand it, the extreme pressures created inside a hydrostatic transmissions creates allot of heat, the more fluid there is pumping through the system, the faster the heat is removed.