Tractor
    mahindra 2816

Default ML106 on 2816 move round bale?

Hello all!
    I am a new Mahindra owner. Bought a 08 2816 gear 4x4 the other day. It does not have a FEL. I really want to be able to move some round bales in the fall. 4x5 appox 800-900 pounds off of a trailer appox 30 inches off the ground. I priced a ML106 loader at $4500. I haven't found any aftermarket fel. I did not pay much more than that for the tractor. I could back up the trailer and use a 3 pt spear to move but would rather do it from the ground. I buy 20 bales a year. Move them less than 100 yards from trailer to barn to field. Tractor already has front weights. Or I could sell tractor and buy one with a fel, maybe a little bigger. I bush hog 2-3 acres and maintain a long gravel hilly driveway also. Any input appreciated!

First impression love the tractor. Rear diff lock is strange and brakes a touch weak but a world better than my previous long tractor!

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Default Re: ML106 on 2816 move round bale?

I think you can do it with the 106 loader. Your lift capacity at the pivot pins to full height is 1050 lbs. Keep in mind you will need the proper ballast on the rear, i.e., loaded tires a must, weight box, or other heavy implement on the 3pt. I wouldn't hesitate to keep the tractor, and add the ML106. I don't see how you could get too much bigger of a tractor for what you'll have into you Mahindra. Unless you just have extra money for one, or want to get a new Mahindra with some excellent financing options, and a superior guarantee.

Here is a link to the pdf. for the loader: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...mctJyHLWJ01xXg
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

Congrats on buying the Mahindra, and welcome to TBN.

I think you will be disappointed trying to lift round bales with that tractor/loader. You would basically be dragging them off the trailer with the FEL, as I don't think it will lift it outright. It will be close! It would have no problem with 900 lbs in the bucket, but when you get it out a couple of feet, it substantially lowers your effective lift capacity. You could carry them on the back of the tractor no problem, but that doesn't get it off the trailer very easily.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Changes often!

One other idea, they made a ML110 for a couple of years for the 3015 back in the day. It will bolt right on a 2615/2816 and lifts 1350 lbs. That would get the job done, but it is highly unlikely that you will find one of them anywhere.

The 2816 was previously the 2615 and it one time was sold as a Cub Cadet as well, so I would think you could get an aftermarket bolt-on loader for it that might lift a little more than the ML106. I think the Cub model was the 7265, but I can't be sure on that. So you can look for an aftermarket loader for a 2615/2816 or the Cub. That ought to broaden your options.
    Dave
    Dave's Tractor, Inc.
    Red Bluff, California

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

When the 2615's first came out, I put Bush Hog M246 loaders on them, and that was a nice combination. With plenty of counter weight, that combination would have done your job. The M246 also reinforced the tractor frame, and had about 1500 pound lift capacity. I really liked the loader, but being it wasn't a Mahindra product, which made financing a challenge.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020

Tractor
    mahindra 2816

Thank you for the input. I think I will keep the tractor and wait til the fall about the fel. My trailer does have a ramp so backing up it to get a bale off is possible. I pushed round bales all winter lucking mostly down hill.....no fun when its over mud mixed with horse poop. Do not want to do that this year! I am going to check into the bushog loader. saw one for $3000??

Tractor
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear

Quote Originally Posted by mah2816 View Post
    Thank you for the input. I think I will keep the tractor and wait til the fall about the fel. My trailer does have a ramp so backing up it to get a bale off is possible. I pushed round bales all winter lucking mostly down hill.....no fun when its over mud mixed with horse poop. Do not want to do that this year! I am going to check into the bushog loader. saw one for $3000??
    The 2816 with the ML106 loader will lift a 4x4 round bale without much issue; however as someone else said you had better have some counterweight. I find my rotary cutter to be sufficient for this purpose. One thing you will find is the tractor won't feel very stable if you have to move the round bale very far and especially on any hilly terrain. If you ever do this, I highly recommend engaging your 4 wheel drive for braking. If all you are doing is getting it out of the back of a trailer, I am certain you won't have much issue. The tractor and loader won't cause much fuss if you don't try to raise the bale more than half the lift height of the loader. If you find a loader whether it be the ML106 or something else, you will probably will want the pin on bale spear vice a clamp/slide in bucket style. Don't ask how I know.
    2009 Mahindra 2816 Gear, 106 FEL, 3710 BH
    Kodiak 5' SD Rotary Cutter w/slip clutch
    Howse 12" Single Bottom Plow
    Ford Disc Harrow 5ft

U.S. Navy Veteran