Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 4840, 450j, 310, komatsu D31px22, IH 1486, MF 135, MHF TO35

Sounds like a defective part and defective dealer!

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Default Re: 4 WD Issue

Someone's blowing smoke. The guy driving the recovery truck is not exactly the head mechanic, and if he is run away!
    Good luck. Should have loader tires in rear and FEL loader doesn't have to be off to mow, unless on Mt. Everest.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    Someone's blowing smoke. The guy driving the recovery truck is not exactly the head mechanic, and if he is run away!
    Good luck. Should have loader tires in rear and FEL loader doesn't have to be off to mow, unless on Mt. Everest.
    Right on. A front end loader, parallel to the ground, may save you from rolling over; in a sudden uncontrolled situation, dropping your loader to the ground may save your life. You certainly should not have to remove your loader in order to mow. However, once you are familiar with your property, and don't see the need for the loader; you can take it off. The bucket on these tractors don't weigh enough to contribute to front end over load.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
    Tractor
    Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23, Craftsman Mower

More than once the loader saved me by being able to stabilize things...

Stopped me from sliding on wet grass into a creek...

I would think an empty loader should be well within design parameters.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra -------------

The main idea to loading the rear tires is when you are using your loader with a loaded bucket, you are taking the weight off of the rear end where the main drive gears are, and are putting most of the stress on the front end where the smaller gears are. The front end is meant to be 4wd assist, not the main gears driving the tractor. All of the tractor manufactures recommend weighting the rear when doing loader work. I have very rarely sold any tractors with loaded rear tires, and have seen only one front gear problem, and never seen a snapped drive shaft. If I have a customer using the tractor commercially and giving it a lot of use I recommend weighting the rear.
    Galen LaWall
    Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
    185 Pearl Street
    Batavia, New York 14020

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by Mowin Fool View Post
    Just spoke with the srevice Mgr. and he tells me that probably should have weight added to rear tires to equalize load on tractor so as not to stress front axle when in 4WD. He says especially going downhill puts a lot of undue stress on frt drive. In the same breath he says he has never seen this issue before. Am I the only guy that mows slopes for petes sake.

Again should have bought Orange I guess.
    Ive twisted off the front drive shaft on my 7520, but I have used it hard. In looking at the broken shaft it was apparent that their manufacturing process induces stress riser defects that recur every few inches. Mine failed at one of them at about 1Khrs -- it showed that a crack had progressed thru about 1/3 the shaft prior to its failure at moderate load. The new shaft, bought thru Lawalls, showed the same characteristic defect pattern. I worked on that shaft quite a while to alleviate the defects before I installed it. Time will tell if durability was increased. I cant imagine a failure with the light work yours has seen.
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Tractor
    Mahindra 3510

My tractor will 'push' in 4WD if I try to cut the wheel hard to make a tight turn. I try to only use the 4WD when under a load to keep traction but sometimes when doing loader work it becomes necessary to keep the front wheels engaged. I really try to reduce the turning while in 4WD. It seems to put a lot of stress on the front drive.
    Cutting the wheels sharp under speed may have caused the shaft failure but regardless of how it happened, it should be covered if under warranty.

Just my
    PROUD AIR FORCE DAD

Tractor
    Mahindra, John Deere

It was a good thing that I had the loader on because when I got stuck in a "small" ditch that was wet the only way I got out was to use the loader to push me up and back. This was rather embarrasing as at that time my neighbor drove by and offered to pull me out with his Kubota. Not good!

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

In certain sod conditions, I would think that you would not want to use 4WD if you were doing a lot of sharp turning. Especially at speed. The big lugs could dig in and put a lot of strain on the front drive, could even be as bad as runing 4WD on pavement if the tire lugs were digging in just right.

Tractor
    Mahindra, John Deere

Update from the service tech on 4WD broken drive shaft issue. They are now saying that the mower deck was interferring with the drive shaft protector cover which in turn pressed against the drive shaft and caused friction and of course heat which weakend and caused the drive shaft to fail. Why the mower deck was hitting it is not known yet.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast