Security & Theft 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #1  

Tkblacktail

Gold Member
Delivery of my new 3016 HST is tomorrow, and I am having trouble sleeping....I have a few loose ends to tie with the new equipment.

Situation 1: Where to stow a chainsaw while moving the tractor from points A-Z.

Q: Would anyone like to share where they stow their chainsaw on the tractor?
The bucket is the obvious choice (not having the tractor yet); my deceased neighbor put his saws on the hood of his JD for 30-some years, but I want to wait until 2035 or so before I do that.

Situation 2. Skidding logs with a 60" Rankin box scraper until I get my log skidder-winch-thingy.

Q Would the center (raised) scraper-tooth be a good place to attach a hook for the chokers to set in?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Last edited:
   / 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #2  
Delivery of my new 3016 HST is tomorrow, and I am having trouble sleeping....I have a few loose ends to tie with the new equipment.

The bucket is the obvious choice (not having the tractor yet); my deceased neighbor put his saws on the hood of his JD for 30-some years, but I want to wait until 2035 or so before I do that.

Situation 2. Skidding logs with a 60" Rankin box scraper until I get my log skidder-winch-thingy.

Q Would the center (raised) scraper-tooth be a good place to attach a hook for the chokers to set in?

0723121859.jpg This is what I did, probably not what you were looking for.

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #3  
Here is my 3016 hst chainsaw holder and hitch I made, that I used until I got a farmi winch.2011-06-03_20-11-56_966.jpg2011-06-03_20-10-49_417.jpg2011-06-03_20-11-06_731.jpg

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #4  

Why are you using the BB to skid logs? I find anything else on the tractor a big hindrance when in the woods. I made the mistake of taking my scraper blade in the woods once. Weight shift didn't help with tractor going over after it found a rock to perch one tire on.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpg
    IMG_0061.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,447
   / 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper
Why are you using the BB to skid logs? I find anything else on the tractor a big hindrance when in the woods. I made the mistake of taking my scraper blade in the woods once. Weight shift didn't help with tractor going over after it found a rock to perch one tire on.

I'm green; haven't gone through my first tank of fuel yet.

I dragged some 8' cross-ties today (4 per skid) with the box scraper and I seen what you mentioned; the box scraper is a bit cumbersome. I've been operating with a ATV and RTV for 12 years, so all my facilities and trails are narrow; will have to widen and level them out too.

When this first project is done, I'm switching to an Alaskan Mill-project to cut some boards, so I will skid with the spacer-bar configuration I seen on another post here at TractorBynet. I have a 3/8" hook for the center hole (for the choker to set in).

I have a plan to mount a horizontal (rectangle) saw carrier/tray onto the back of the ROPES; expanded metal, angle stock and some square tubing clamps. I'll post a pic as soon as I scratch it out.

I can't bring myself to drill any holes in the tractor yet.

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #6  
This is what I use, it's called the saw grip and its awesome! The head of the saw sits on a plate with a slab of rubber bonded to it and it keeps it perfectly secure. I would replace it in a heartbeat if I had to. It's listed on there web site as the vertical model.
6b64d494.jpg

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #7  
Still can't figure the 'skiddin' logs thing out... you guys must get free chains for your chainsaw.. :) I'm a whack up where she falls guy.... Don't run anything thru my chipper that even has a hint of sand on it....

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #8  

What the? How is the rear blade to blame for that? Did it get caught on something? I don't understand how you rolled your tractor uphill. Wacky.

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper #9  
What the? How is the rear blade to blame for that? Did it get caught on something? I don't understand how you rolled your tractor uphill. Wacky.

Because when I jumped off the tractor, my foot hit the gear lever and it backed into the rock. The weight of the BB shifted and aided the tractor going over. Had it not been on there the tractor may have simply just gone over the rock without upsetting itself. There is no "uphill"

/ 3016 HST where to stow a chainsaw & skidding logs with box scraper
Well, thanks for all the advise; I really appreciate the thoughts and pictures.

I'll try this out for a month and see how it goes.

This is what I came up with for my rig; shop-floor slotted angle and four 2" rectangle bolts. I added 45 degree supports (1" slotted flat stock) from the sides of the tray to a higher point to each side of the ROPES bar, shortly after I took this picture. I left the bottom as open as possible to allow for debris and rain to pass through. I can put another saw (facing the other way), or my fuel and oil cans next to the bar. A bungee cord seems to hold the saw in place OK.

I have to figure out a way to stow the saw when I have the 28" bar attached; a manner that won't harm the chain or handle, perhaps a couple trunnion blocks made of fir. The saw pictured (362 with wrap around handle) equipped with a 20" bar.