Tires Adjusted my AG rims outward

/ Adjusted my AG rims outward #1  

Tkblacktail

Gold Member
My 3016 came with the rear wheels set in a narrow position; with a lot of advice here in TractorByNet and from my dealer, I was able to make it happen in conjunction with my initial 10 hour service.

The sheer weight of the tires, my lack of physical fitness, and my lack of lifting equipment makes this project a 8 on a scale of 1-10 in difficulty. It reminded me of fighting GIs from Nebraska; lots of aikido & grunting.

For anyone interested, the sequence I used follows; I wanted to keep my valve stems on the outside which gives me the second widest stance possible (as far as I know).

Set the parking brake, break the related nuts loose but leave snug.
Secure, raise and properly support the tractor just off the surface/floor.

Same for both wheels

Remove tire/wheel assembly (keeping it vertical) and position it against a steady object (keep the ballast calm).
Remove the nuts securing the disk to the rim except for the nuts closest to the valve stem.
With the nuts next to the valve stem loose but still in place, tap the disk off the keys until it breaks loose.
It is imperative to protect the valve stem while the disk is separated from the rim.
These rims hold a carriage bolt secure on either side so I arranged the disk back onto the inside of the rim slots.
The rim keys center the disk as it is tightened & torqued in the same manner as any wheel (star patterns).
Check for centering anyway.
Situate the wheel close to the hub (tread direction), use of a block and a 4 foot 2X4, lift (pry) the wheel up & onto the hub.

Most difficult part for me

Holding the tire assemble against the hub, pry on the front of the tire, rotate the tire disk until the lug holes line up; insert top lug first. I seen in another post where a guy used a temp wheel stud to hang the wheel.
Rotate the rim as needed and insert the rest of the lug bolts; tighten & torque as you would any wheel (star pattern).

Easy street

Lower the tractor; conduct pre-operations checks, drive around a bit and recheck the torque.

I know a pen and checkbook is easier, but this was a challenge and fun. View attachment 317975
I was left with a wider stance (couple inches est), the disk nuts facing inward, and my valve stems facing out.
I will see how this goes, if I need more stability, I will switch the tires to the opposite sides for the maximum stance and have the valve stems on the inside.

Last edited:
   / Adjusted my AG rims outward #2  
It was a wise decision to widen your stance. In retrospect, is there any reason your dealer would not have done this for you before you purchased the tractor?

/ Adjusted my AG rims outward
Thank you! I'm sure he would have; he instructed me how to do it when he delivered the tractor. My first project was removing a retaining wall and earth close to my house so I opted to knock that out before making the adjustment. It paid off; our land is accustomed to OHVs (trails are 40" wide), I hit enough objects as it was.

Last edited:
   / Adjusted my AG rims outward #4  
Thank you! I'm sure he would have; he instructed me how to do it when he delivered the tractor. My first project was removing a retaining wall and earth close to my house so I opted to knock that out before making the adjustment. It paid off; our land is accustomed to OHVs (trails are 40" wide), I hit enough objects as it was.

Perfectly understandable. I think the 3016 is a fantastic tractor. I'm sure you will have as many trouble free years as I have had on my Mitsubishi built 2615.

/ Adjusted my AG rims outward #5  
what year is your 3016? i got mine last October and it is a great tractor, but my rimes are solid and don't have a center disk arrangement you pictured.

/ Adjusted my AG rims outward
Late model 2012 delivered to the dealer in January to beat the new emissions laws. Some of the industrial rims I seen on the other tractors were a solid rim/wheel.

I had a choice for the type of tire and it wouldn't have affected the price at this dealership.

Watching one seasoned neighbor skid logs with AG tires on his old 2WD JD, and another less-experienced neighbor skidding logs with Industrial tires on his much-newer 4WD JD, (and filtering out the years of experience-gap between the two), I knew AG tires is what I wanted/needed on my uneven terrain.

The wider (Roadster) stance of the industrial tires/wheels is appealing, if I had a wider AG tire choice, I would have taken it.