Storing the FEL dumped

/ Storing the FEL dumped #21  
i'd be OK with winter disappointing me with the volume of snow! last spring was late in coming, but winter decided to stay and make its presence known into May. I have a front SB for my 2305 that I didn't mount until March - finally had to concede! wished i'd have set it up back in November, but I was moving material with the BB through the winter and wanted to hit it hard in spring... kept most of the snow at bay with the Boss/truck, but next winter i'll move quicker on setting up the blower.
on a side note, the weather here is so screwed up. we've had more than triple the normal rain, and today it might get to 80 for the first time since I don't know when.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #22  
getting a FEL this week, will put some of your tips to use (set on blocks) storage will mostly be inside, I think, but when outside it'll probably be curled...

/ Storing the FEL dumped #23  
It looks like this question was also asked before.

Only junk cylinders are hurt by rain it seems to me, After 30 years setting in the rain I saw no rust on the JD310B BH during its annual grease job.

That is what I thought.
I have a Chinese cherry picker, that I managed to get rained on, the cylinder rusted like crazy.
The tractor cylinders don't have a speck of rust on them... well, maybe a tiny spot on the Toro, and some rust on the old JD sickle bar cylinder that probably hasn't been operated for years.

Do you use the tractor regularly? Anyway, they should be fine with normal use. I did see some grime accumulation on the cylinders, perhaps from grease and weather.

Since I added forks on my tractor bucket, I set it down absolutely flat, so that the forks are level with the ground, and not sticking up.

/ Storing the FEL dumped
It looks like this question was also asked before.

I admit I didn't do a full search before asking. But the question title/phrasing wasn't obvious to me.

I figure that this is something that experienced owner could give me advice.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #25  
I admit I didn't do a full search before asking. But the question title/phrasing wasn't obvious to me.

I figure that this is something that experienced owner could give me advice.

.....And I'm sorry, but what topic on TBN has NEVER come up before?

I find "duplicate" threads for all kinds of things, and learn different (and admittedly sometimes contradictory) things from each one, and with some of the older ones there have occasionally been changes in either science or technology that renders them moot.

T

/ Storing the FEL dumped #26  
Telling people to "go search" simply because a topic has been discussed before is the quickest way to kill a forum, not to mention it's really rude.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #27  
Agreed.. Every forum where this is the prevailing attitude is a small, dying, forum.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #28  
My tractor is stored behind a barn door, so getting rain in the bucket isn't an issue. When I turn the FEL over for storage, mice sometimes take up residence. Scares the heck out of them the first time I start the tractor up and raise the bucket.

I store it curled, not dumped.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #29  
Sorry,
I didn't say to "go search". But, I lost this topic, and tried to search for it again, and the older topic showed up... which I then chose to reference. Not intending to kill the discussion.

Perhaps there is no perfect answer, but each situation is different. It probably doesn't matter that much as long as you occasionally use the tractor.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #30  
Agreed.. Every forum where this is the prevailing attitude is a small, dying, forum.

Agreed. I've been a member of several forums over the years and when that attitude arises I find myself elsewhere seeking info. I'm mostly new here and hadn't seen any of that in my initial searches, I'm happy this place isn't like that which is why I signed up.

Perhaps there is no perfect answer, but each situation is different. It probably doesn't matter that much as long as you occasionally use the tractor.

Perhaps the perfect answer is there is no perfect answer :D

I'd say you're spot on correct and the number of variables involved in the numerous situations there are for such a thing, makes the best solution something slightly different for each machine, owner, and environment.

I think a mixed routine of sprays and coatings of grease, chosen and applied dependent on the weather, storage conditions, and how long it is to be stored should be ample to keep any piece of metal in decent shape for the life of the owner.

I realize you didn't say "go search", you had done the search and provided the results for reference, which is awesome. My inside voice just happened to make it to the outside and was posted as an incomplete thought (my coffee wasn't fully kicked in or some such...).