Storing the FEL dumped

/ Storing the FEL dumped
Like I said -- completely new to owning a real tractor and getting to play with all the fun stuff. And at the price I'm paying for this thing, I want it to last a long time.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #32  
We most often do as the owner's manual recommends and leave it stored flat on its bottom, and after shutting off the ignition, and then waggle the joystick in all planes to relieve any residual pressure in the cylinders and hoses. Then we lock the joystick.

Except when we don't for various reasons :)

After the motor on our old splitter died mid-split, it was left outside 1/2 extended for somewhere between 4 and 6 years, and it took a most of those years for even a fine sprinkling of rust to form on the exposed piston. When we rehab ed it with a new motor, pump and hoses, a light buffing with some really fine emery cloth polished all the rust off, and it worked fine until the new motor was killed by mice chewing away the wiring a few years ago. The splitter was a Heathkit sold as a kit only in 1979-81. It routinely sat for the better part of a year between uses under cover of a tarp, or in the woodshed and had not a speck of rust until the years outside and uncovered.

That being said, we store the new splitter with the ram retracted without fail.