Storing the FEL dumped

/ Storing the FEL dumped #1  

jimpen

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 25HST
This may sound stuoid.

I have a barn that I have to rehang the door on. (There are days I hate wood as it ages. :pullinghair:)

So for now I'm backing the tractor in for storage, with the unmounted backhoe behind it. That gets the FEL under cover, but not "protected" from rain blowing in. I drop the FEL to the ground in the dumped position so that I don't have water collecting in the bucket. I'm using it on at least a weekly basis.

Any thoughts on it? Good or bad idea?

/ Storing the FEL dumped #2  
Was gonna ask this question too as I have seen both ways.. I figure one way protects the bucket from standing water, the other protects the cylinder chrome..

/ Storing the FEL dumped #3  
I'd protect those cylinders. Sit the bucket on top of a couple of wood blocks and tarp it if you are really worried.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #4  
It only takes one time banging your leg against the corner on the bucket side where it meets the cutting edge or the tooth bar to convince you that bucket down is a good idea. The cylinders should be okay unless in direct rain or in a lot of dust especially if the tractor and loader get frequent use.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #5  
My manual states in the "storing your tractor" section to put a thin coat of grease on any of the exposed portions of the cylinders to protect them from any moisture.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #6  
You all worry way too much about the cylinders rusting. I can show you farm equipment that has set out side it's entire life and no problems with the cylinders rusting.

Do you think the dairy farmers down the road from me wipe the muck off and oil the sh*t spreader's 30 year old cylinders before he leaves it sitting out for months at a time? No.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #7  
And I just came from a guy selling a ford 3000 whose cylinders where completely rusted out. Scrap. So it all depends.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #8  
My manual states in the "storing your tractor" section to put a thin coat of grease on any of the exposed portions of the cylinders to protect them from any moisture.

So does one of mine... Cant hurt and protects the seal too..

/ Storing the FEL dumped #9  
So it all depends.

You are right I suppose. I just looked at our 885 David Brown and it doesn't have a speck of rust on the steering cylinder. I'm not sure the exact year but it is roughly the same age as a 3000, 33 years old at least though.

/ Storing the FEL dumped #10  
Cylinders with a good chrome finish on the rod will not rust for a long period of time. Problem is that today some cylinders have poor grade of chrome or don't use chrome at all and rely on the shaft material to be corrosion resistant. With out knowing the quality of cylinders that are on your FEL it is very difficult to say yes or no that you will or won't have a problem. The fact that you are using this weekly greatly reduces the likely hood of the cylinder corroding.