3016 tie rod

/ 3016 tie rod #1  

arrow

Tractor
Mahindra 3016
I noticed today that Mahindra does not have a screw in end for the tie rod. They are welded on. I've bent this piece many times on my old tractor but the solution was simply to unscrew the tie rod ends and slam a larger pipe onto the rod itself and screw the tie rod ends back in making this piece much stronger. Was wondering if anyone has the same problem. I do a lot of logging in dense woods where the under brush can get ornery toward the tractor. Since I cannot do the same thing on this tie rod, I need a way to strengthen this piece such as welding on a piece of channel iron?

/ 3016 tie rod #2  
Send picture?

Perhaps one of those after-market shock absorbers/stabilizers

Thanks for the post, I'm gonna have a look at mine since our applications and situations are quite similar.

/ 3016 tie rod #3  
Did anyone come up with a fix to this issue? i recently bought a new 3016 and last week bent my tie rod. they want $340 for the part and i can see this happening multiple times.

/ 3016 tie rod #4  
I repaired a bent tie rod on a 2615 a few years ago. The rod is very thin metal. I replaced it with schedule 80 pipe. I. cut off the threaded Female ends and welded them to the schedule 80. It will still bend if you run over a high stump but not as easy as the original. I also added a skid plate to the bottom of the front diff. It had 4 threaded holes so I drilled a piece of 3/8 steel and bolted it up.

/ 3016 tie rod #5  
Thanks for the reply. i like your suggestion, i plan on going that route. one thing i'm thinking is to see if i can find some ball joints that match and come with the female threads that way i could go ahead and cut some raw pipe, thread it and have new (threaded) ball joints ready to for the next time. i like the idea of a skid plate as well. i looked under my 3016 and didn't see any threaded holes available but i'll keep looking for a way to mount one. if you can please send a picture of your skid plate. thanks again.

/ 3016 tie rod #6  
Thanks for the reply. i like your suggestion, i plan on going that route. one thing i'm thinking is to see if i can find some ball joints that match and come with the female threads that way i could go ahead and cut some raw pipe, thread it and have new (threaded) ball joints ready to for the next time. i like the idea of a skid plate as well. i looked under my 3016 and didn't see any threaded holes available but i'll keep looking for a way to mount one. if you can please send a picture of your skid plate. thanks again.

Can't send a pic of the skid plate as I sold that tractor. The bottom side of the front differential on the 2615 already had 4 metric threaded holes. I just used them to bolt the plate to. Maybe the 3016 diff is different.