2009 Mahindra 6000 - power steering issue

/ 2009 Mahindra 6000 - power steering issue #1  

drdoolittle

Tractor
Mahindra 6000
Good evening.

I recently had a run in with a stump while I was bush hogging and it messed up the front power steering cylinder. After waiting two weeks to get one in, it arrived and this Saturday I installed it. I now have the tractor back up and running.

The problem is before the "altercation" the steering could be done with pretty much one finger. Now it seems to take a lot more effort to get it moving and the steering also seems to "wander" around more. If I driving in a straight line I now find myself herding the tractor back and forth.

Thoughts on what else may be wrong here? I didn't see anything else out of whack and the rest of the tractor is working great. In fact until I ran into the stump, I've had nothing but good times with it.

Any guidance/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric

/ 2009 Mahindra 6000 - power steering issue #2  
Is anything else bent that you can see?

/ 2009 Mahindra 6000 - power steering issue
Is anything else bent that you can see?

Nothing that I can see. I may have to check the pressure of the lines. Is it possible to have somehow "back pressured" the hydraulic pump or bypass valve to the point of damaging one or the other? Haven't had an opportunity to do that yet.

/ 2009 Mahindra 6000 - power steering issue #4  
If you haven't already, jack the front end up and see if there is any play or looseness in the steering linkage. Also check for binding. :2cents:

/ 2009 Mahindra 6000 - power steering issue #5  
If nothing is broke you may also try turning the steering wheel left then right all the way a bunch of times to get all the air out of the system.

I'll have to see about looking at how loose (or tight) everything is this evening. I will probably take the time to spin it back and forth while I'm at it. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Just an update - I know its been awhile since I asked for advice. Turned out to be air and bad alignment on my part. The "looseness" was because I had the front tires toeing out and did t realize it. In the field which ever side got traction over the other pulled you that way. Rechecked the manually and lined the tires up correctly. Operates a lot better now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Eric