Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #1  

RockyNY

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti NX6010CH
My 4035 PST had an issue with the F/N/R shuttle lever where you'd have to lift and pull it slightly towards reverse in order to activate the neutral safety switch. It was getting annoying so I decided to dig into it and see if there was an adjustment on the shifter cable. I did find an adjustment, but it's not on the cable itself. Rather, it's on the bracket that holds the cable end, on the transmission end of the cable. You can access from underneath the tractor, behind the fuel tank. The shifter cable sheath is purple, so it's not hard to find. There are two screws that hold the bracket in place, and the bracket holes are slotted. I'll try to get a photo and post it later.

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #2  
Did you ever take photos? I am having trouble with my PST where it is VERY hard to shift into and out of gear. I am trying to figure out what to adjust. It is such a pain to load up the tractor for a two hour ride to the dealer. Not to mention the diesel to make the trip.

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #3  
dhaymon, I have a 5035 PST that got so bad it would not shift at all. On the 5035 there is no adjustment for a hard shift. I disassembled the shifting mechanism, cleaned and greased the detent ball and spring, deburred the detent plate. shifts easily now. Tractor had 20 hours. Like you my dealer is 2 hours away, so I did this myself, very easy.

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #4  
Just spray a little PB blaster on the detent mechanism will cure the problem. It is something you may need to do as regular manitence to keep the shift lever working smoothly.

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #5  
PB Blaster is awesome isn't it! I hadn't thought of that, but tried it after reading the reply and it works like new. Thanks !

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #6  
PB Blaster is awesome isn't it! I hadn't thought of that, but tried it after reading the reply and it works like new. Thanks !

Hey guys, I know this is an old thread that I'm resurrecting, however, it's the most applicable thread to my needs when searched. I have a 4035 PST and the shuttle shifter got stuck in forward near the end of my job I was working on. I was able to force it into gear by slamming around on the lever (which I don't like doing but was trying to finish up my task that day)... however, it progressively got worse on shifting into neutral and reverse, until finally I wasn't able to get it into reverse at all and neutral was insanely hard to get it into.

I plan on fixing it this weekend, and though I'm handy with tools and general automotive work, I have no clue how to access the detent ball or what it even looks like. Does anyone have a photo or a well versed explanation of what to do? If I'm understanding correctly, all that should need to be done is some PB Blaster on the detent ball, I shouldn't have to adjust the linkage or do anything else, right?

I looked up another post on TBN as well regarding people who have a 5035 and their cable is getting cut due to the tilt bracket on the column and it's causing the problem, so they're shaving off the bracket or putting something in between to stop the cutting of the cable. Should I expect to see and fix this issue on the 4035 as well?
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...328965-mahindra-5035-pst-shuttle-shifter.html

I also found the TBN thread below which is regarding to the 4035 shuttle shift issue... but the only fix that was mentioned was:
"Well i went and picked up my tractor today. After they split it into and looked at the internals and found nothing, they reasembled it and come to find out it was the bracket that holds the neutral safety switch and was binding with the shift lever"
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-owning-operating/223736-4035-stuck-forward-gear.html

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #7  

Have you ever tried KROIL? I have been using the stuff for 30 years in the food, automotive and pharmaceutical industries that I have worked in. You can buy it on-line from Kano Laboratories and the NAPA stores around here carry it as well. Even helps on galled stainless fasteners if you are patient.

No, I do not work for Kano Laboratories...just a lifetime satisfied user.

And a funny thumbnail.

Attachments

• AriseThreadLongSinceDead.jpg
    AriseThreadLongSinceDead.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 334
   / Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #8  
I wanted to provide an update after fixing the issue over the weekend.

There were two issues... both of which were mentioned above based on the various threads.

1) The detent ball was seized up and I used PB Blaster to break it free and plan on hitting it with white lithium grease to keep it greased. I went as far as pulling the entire ball out by sliding the level back and cleaning it up.

2) Like the thread about the 5035's having issues with the cable chafing on the bracket which holds the spring for the column tilt, I had the same exact issue. They were mainly saying that it can fill with water once cut open and then during the winter time it freezes, thus you cannot shift. Since I wont be using the tractor during freezing temps, I chose not to fix the cable or cut the bracket, instead I just zip tied it to a different spot to make sure it did not continue to chafe.

Here are pics of everything... hope it helps.

27226585970_2589079ee6_c.jpg

27404303212_5f3bfebd3b_c.jpg

27226585500_4908342209_c.jpg

27404302342_604944652d_c.jpg

27226585120_8ca5663591_c.jpg

27404301412_457999c667_c.jpg

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #9  
Nice post!

/ Mahindra 4035 PST shuttle lever adjustment for neutral safety switch #10  
Great pictures, I may be able to fix my shift problem. 3535 is stuck in forward. Thanks