Tractor Seat

/ Tractor Seat #1  

dduff

Tractor
Mahindra 6000 with FEL, Ford 8N, Ford Golden Jubilee
I’m sorry but I spent ten hours in the tractor seat doing my last cutting of hay.
I really love the Mahindra 6000. It does everything that I have asked of it except for one thing, a REASONABLY COMFORTABLE SEAT <font color="blue"> </font> . I don’t mean a lounge chair but the seat on my 1953 Ford Golden Jubilee is more comfortable over the long haul than the seat on the Mahindra. You would think that on a machine that requires a rider that a little extra attention would be paid to the seat. I don’t think this seat is designed for anyone that weighs more than 160 lbs to ride on comfortably. I also don’t think that when you pay 20K+ for a tractor you shouldn’t have to go out and spend another couple of hundred bucks in the hopes that a replacement seat will be more comfortable. You know the story about the wide John Deere seat. When it came time to design a seat, they went down to the shop and found the largest man there and had the engineers design a seat that he would be comfortable on, with the understanding that if he was comfortable then everyone else would be also. Being a retired Aerospace Engineer myself and knowing the corporate mentality of doing the least to maximize the profit it is understandable why the Mahindra seat is the way it is.
Don’t get me wrong. I am no little guy, 6’3” and 300 lbs. But at the very least you would think that the design of the seat would include some sort of rubber bumper to cushion the impact when it bottoms out instead of steal on steal. With the seat spring turned to maximum I only have about a half inch of travel until the seat bottoms out hard. The fields that I work on are relatively smooth compared to most but I can’t work at speeds higher than 1500 RPM in High first gear. That’s not even close to the 540 RPM for the equipment. Time is money and if you have to creep around in order to keep from compressing your spine when the seat bottoms out you can’t make any money. I think the person that specified the seat for the 6000 should be duct taped to it and if he doesn’t weigh at least 250 lbs. add additional weight to make up the difference. He should be forced to stay on it with heavy pieces of equipment like a disk mower and FEL installed and ride over speed bumps all day long. Maybe next time he would give us no-necks some consideration in his designs. The tractor is great as long as you don’t have to spend a lot of time in the seat doing meaningful work. In my opinion THE SEAT IS NOT WORTHY OF THE TRACTOR .

/ Tractor Seat #2  
I kinda agree with ya. I'm 6'2" - 250lbs. and I bottom out the seat all of the time, even cruising down a fairly smooth rock road. I don't know if the problem is the seat, or the hydraulics under it. Did you ever find a resolution to your issue ?

Charlie W. - West Point, Tx.
/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif