Snow New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #1  

stmoore75

Tractor
Mahindra
Anyone happen to have a rear mount snow blower on a 2615 and if so, how does it work? Just bought the home and tractor and getting ready for our first winter. Have a gravel driveway approx 600' long that I would be using it to clear. If a rear mount isn't a good idea, what would people suggest? I was looking locally and found a Woods SS52 rear mount with little use for approx $1600, not sure if it will mount properly if anyone can weigh in on that too it would be great!

Thanks all

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #2  
Welcome to the net; I'm sure somebody knowledgeable will come along shortly.

It looks as though the Woods SS52 requires the operator to drive in reverse for the snow-thrower to work with the PRO; I cannot see how driving backwards (sitting forward and rubber-necking) would be comfortable for the longer durations/a viable option.

If you can get-by with a blade, I have seen skidsteer attachments which are designed for light to moderate snow depths/weights.

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #3  
A front mount snow blower would be ideal, and would save you having to look backward all the time, but would also be far more expensive than a rear mount unit. That being said, I would would recommend that you look for a blower, that is at least 60" wide and not larger than 72" wide. I personally think a 66" machine would be ideal, buy sometimes hard to find. Good luck with your pursuit.

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #4  
Welcome, I am guessing you have a loader on your tractor? I have a 3316 and have welded up a snow pusher from an old truck snow blade that works like a champ, attached to my loader arms. I have seen snow pushers on line for less then $1,000. You would have to change your loader over to a quick connect system, which is nice for many different attachments . I also put a rear mount grader blade on the back of my tractor to attack the snow from all angles. We have had over 3' of snow here in my neck of the woods. Snow blowers are nice, but do they justify the price to only be used a few times a year? My driveway is 1/4 mile of gravel.

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #5  
Welcome, I am guessing you have a loader on your tractor? I have a 3316 and have welded up a snow pusher from an old truck snow blade that works like a champ, attached to my loader arms. I have seen snow pushers on line for less then $1,000. You would have to change your loader over to a quick connect system, which is nice for many different attachments . I also put a rear mount grader blade on the back of my tractor to attack the snow from all angles. We have had over 3' of snow here in my neck of the woods. Snow blowers are nice, but do they justify the price to only be used a few times a year? My driveway is 1/4 mile of gravel.

Jim, I'm in the market for a snow pusher for my 3016. I can't find any cheaper than $1100 then I have to add the $250 to $300 to get it here. I wish I could find a 6' snow blade for a hundred bucks or so and make one up as you have done.

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #6  
Another option is a pull-type blower. It's cheaper than a front mount and you don't have to keep looking behind. Some argue against running over the snow before it hits the blower but I have never found it to be a problem. Another concern is whether or not snowfalls or drifts are too deep to drive over. Those aren't a problem for my area.

I have a gravel 800' driveway which takes about 10 minutes to clear no matter how deep the snow (we don't get more than 8 to 10" at a time). I also clear a couple of neighbours' driveways over 1,000' each. With the pull-type I can clear a 12' width simply by driving in and out again.

Justifying a blower over a blade depends on the area conditions. For my area it is overcast and humid 90% of the time, so snow steadily accumulates. I used a rear blade for seven years but it was much slower. And a lot more work as I often had to push windrows and piles in reverse to make room for the next snowfall.

Another advantage of a pull-type is that you are driving away from the blown snow behind you instead of driving into it with a "regular" rear mount blower. Of course that's not an issue if you have a cab.

We all have different conditions, so what works for me may not make sense for others.

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #7  
Jim, I'm in the market for a snow pusher for my 3016. I can't find any cheaper than $1100 then I have to add the $250 to $300 to get it here. I wish I could find a 6' snow blade for a hundred bucks or so and make one up as you have done.

Arrow, Ebay is the way. :thumbsup:

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #8  
Arrow, Ebay is the way. :thumbsup:

My wish has come true!. I was at my local welding shop and I made mention of possibly making a snow pusher. The guy brings me over to his "scrap" yard and low and behold, there lay a 6' long radiused 1/4" thick piece of steel 22" high that his long dead father made up for a plow blade he never finished. $100 and its mine. Now all i have to do is weld up some sides, some braces , skid plates and mount a quick tach plate and I have a snow pusher for less than $400. My luck just doesn't run this way.

/ New member - Rear Mount Snow Blower for 2615 HST #9  
If its a 3pt. snow blower made for a cat 1 - 3pt. hook up will be no problem. If you have a gravel driveway and buy a rear mount blower you need to make sure of two things. The blower must be wide enough to cover your tracks (about 60 -64" works well) and buy a box of shear pins or shear bolts as you will change a lot of them. I had a 3pt. blower and sold it because I spent more time changing pins than blowing snow. I'd have kept it if I only used it on paved driveways. Never sheared a pin / bolt on pavement. After selling the blower I adapted a used 7 1/2' truck plow blade to the loader arms. Much easier on the neck and back and faster plowing forward in mid range than blowing snow in low range in reverse. I have plowed my driveway for the past 9 years with either this plow or just using the bucket. This year the tractor gets a break as I bought a 1T dump with a 9' blade.