Loader Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode #1  

Shift4200

Gold Member
Tractor
Max 25 2013
Title says it.... here's the story.

When cleaning up the remnants from dragging the road, i typically use float mode quite often. Drop the bucket to the ground in float, angle the bucket down slightly (i know owners manual says to never do this... but it works so dam well!) then push the snow right into the bank. When i get to the bank, i angle the bucket up... this causes the loader arms to climb the bank. I then dump the bucket and lift the arms. Easy peesy.

So, last storm, as i was cleaning up... i found that i could no longer angle my bucket UP while in float. I would do like described above, but when i got to the bank, I'd have to take it out of float, scoop the bucket and then raise and dump over the bank. Seems like a simple process, but adds time to the clearing process.

Everyone I've talked to asks if it's just how the fel hydros are designed. I tell them no, as it was something i could do before but now cant. I pulled the boot off of the joystick to see if the linkage was the prob, but with -10deg winds it didnt get the look it needed.... having no garage is such a PIA.

The machine is under warranty, but I'd hate to be the guy that calls the dealer for every loose bolt i encounter. So, first stop is here... see what you guys have to say. If i come up dry, off to Dubay it goes.

Thanks in advance.

-J

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode #2  
I'd say give the dealer a call; there could be an over-the-phone quick-fix. Also, some dealers might be appreciative of the warranty business (semi-guaranteed payments) this time of year.

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode #3  
I've found that if I have the MMM arms (even with it not mounted) raised all the way to the top the FEL hydraulics don't work correctly. I think there is some sort of valve that reverses when it's all the way up.

One of these days I have to take a ratchet down to the shed and and adjust the top stop so I don't forget. :grumpy: But for now -- try putting the MMM arms about halfway down.

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode
I've found that if I have the MMM arms (even with it not mounted) raised all the way to the top the FEL hydraulics don't work correctly. I think there is some sort of valve that reverses when it's all the way up.

One of these days I have to take a ratchet down to the shed and and adjust the top stop so I don't forget. :grumpy: But for now -- try putting the MMM arms about halfway down.

It's worth a shot, but by doing this I'll also be lowering my 3pt hitch which has a blade attached. If this work, it will act as a good work around. I have a call into the dealer about this. I'll be sure to let you all know what comes of it.

-J

Round one of communication from the dealer.

I was told that articulating the bucket with float mode engaged is not possible. The valve is not capable of doing it. It was recommended that i get the bucket level before engaging float. I was then reminded that the bucket does not float, just the arms.

This exchange was via email, so I'm hoping there is a small amount of miscommunication going on. I've since emailed a more detailed explanation of whats going on. I reinforced the fact that I was able to do this a week ago... but cant now.

More to come...

-J

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode #6  
Title says it.... here's the story.

When cleaning up the remnants from dragging the road, i typically use float mode quite often. Drop the bucket to the ground in float, angle the bucket down slightly (i know owners manual says to never do this... but it works so dam well!) then push the snow right into the bank. When i get to the bank, i angle the bucket up... this causes the loader arms to climb the bank. I then dump the bucket and lift the arms. Easy peesy.

So, last storm, as i was cleaning up... i found that i could no longer angle my bucket UP while in float. I would do like described above, but when i got to the bank, I'd have to take it out of float, scoop the bucket and then raise and dump over the bank. Seems like a simple process, but adds time to the clearing process.

Everyone I've talked to asks if it's just how the fel hydros are designed. I tell them no, as it was something i could do before but now cant. I pulled the boot off of the joystick to see if the linkage was the prob, but with -10deg winds it didnt get the look it needed.... having no garage is such a PIA.

The machine is under warranty, but I'd hate to be the guy that calls the dealer for every loose bolt i encounter. So, first stop is here... see what you guys have to say. If i come up dry, off to Dubay it goes.

Thanks in advance.

-J

Read this and decide if this is true.

Definition of float spool:

FLOAT SPOOL (POSIT10N): A spool valve design which connects all ports to the tank (return) port, usually in a detented fourth position, allowing a cylinder or motor to "float".

You appear to be setting the curl angle before you go into float, and that will set the bucket cyl and lock it .

You then go into float and all the fluids from all ports go to tank.

Now you want to use the curl, but is there fluid available.

Check and see if the 3pt works while you are in float. I am curious.

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode #7  
It seems like you have got your answer.

It seems like you have got your answer.

3PT works with loader in float... No problem.

Bucket curl up does NOT work in Float... but did.

Bucket curl down DOES work in float... as it always has.

-J

/ Cannot articulate bucket while in Float Mode #9  
It may be a problem with your valve. I just got done plowing and use the curl up/down all the time when in float mode. I know it's a pain but I'd take it back to the dealer for under warranty.

I had my loader valve replaced under warranty but that was for a different problem. There was an internal leak so the bucket wouldn't stay up. The bucket would drop 1-2 inches in less than a minute. I was told that all buckets have an acceptable rate of drop when not running but mine was dropping with it running.

I don't remember if my original valve would curl in float mode but the one they replaced it with does.

It may be a problem with your valve. I just got done plowing and use the curl up/down all the time when in float mode. I know it's a pain but I'd take it back to the dealer for under warranty.

I had my loader valve replaced under warranty but that was for a different problem. There was an internal leak so the bucket wouldn't stay up. The bucket would drop 1-2 inches in less than a minute. I was told that all buckets have an acceptable rate of drop when not running but mine was dropping with it running.

I don't remember if my original valve would curl in float mode but the one they replaced it with does.

I'm in the process of getting the dealers take on whats going on. I do hope to get it up there in the next week or so to have it looked at.

Thankful for this post as I was starting to think I was going crazy. I'll be sure to mention this to the dealer when i talk with him next.

-J