6500 4wd transmission

/ 6500 4wd transmission #1  

Bobvt

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6500, Mahindra mPower 85, LS XP8084CPS
Does anyone have any experience with 00 series transmissions? Late last fall, the gears began to grind when I would shift from reverse to forward after the tractor warmed up. (No grinding if come to a complete stop and slowly shift to forward.) They do not grind moving from forward to reverse. I suspect the problem is with the reverser shifting sleave and synchronizer hub. I'm hoping it just the block, spring and ball which slides into the hub. Started yesterday getting it ready to split. I would appreciate any advice that would help in identifying which transmission parts need to be replaced.

/ 6500 4wd transmission #2  
I would either order the complete syncronizer kit or wait till it is apart and inspect each piece before ordering them.

/ 6500 4wd transmission
Thanks for getting back to me. I'll wait and see what the gears look like. The visible ones look fine, so maybe the hub or the spring kit. Tractor is split and I'm ready to lift the hydraulic housing. Won't get back to it until later this week. Thanks again for the advice.

Bob

/ 6500 4wd transmission
Galen, Would you know that the tread pitch and diameter of the special adaptor that screws into the high/low range shaft so that it can be removed with a slide hammer. I going to have a machine shop cut some threads on a pipe.

/ 6500 4wd transmission #5  
I see youre jumping right into it. My f/r synchronizers on the 7520 went out early. I believe the sync rings cracked. I havent had any trouble at 1300 hrs even with a little grinding if I dont stop fully [kinda frequent]. Once the sharp engaging edges of mating gears get rounded off a bit they are more tolerant of grinding as they engage and less likely to chip. A little care, esp early after sync failure and it really isnt so big a deal. ... I sure wish the sync rings were more robust tho.
larry

/ 6500 4wd transmission
It has turned out to be quite a project! I'm not looking forward to putting it back together. About the only thing I haven't had to remove is the radiator! If I can pull the hi/lo gears and shaft, I can finally remove the f/r synchronizer gears. Local dealer did not have the adaptor needed to pull the gears.

/ 6500 4wd transmission #7  
Bob, How many hrs on your 6500. How much loader work?

/ 6500 4wd transmission #8  
Hi Bob,
Only once have I changed synchronizers on an 00 series, and I don't remember needing any special tools. I wish I could be more help.

/ 6500 4wd transmission
Spyderlk, I have about 1200 hours. Probably 65% has been loader work.

/ 6500 4wd transmission
Galen, I finally got the forward/reverse synchronizer gears out. You are right. I did not need the special adaptor, as it is not necessary to remove the hi/lo gears and drive shaft. You would need to remove this if you wanted to get the entite drive shaft out of the transmission compartment. The service manual wasn't very clear on this.