Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts #1  

goodguy40

When I turn the key on everything looks fine. Lights work voltage is good all is fine just as soon as I turn the key to start something clicks and voltage drop to 2 volts and stays there then sometime later it jumps back to the correct voltage and stays there until I try to start again. I had the original battery in the tractor so I thought it was that. I put in a battery I bought last year for the camper and put a full charge on it. And the same thing happens. It's like something is grounding out the voltage driving it down until the ground is cleared. I have eliminated all I could. I noticed as I pulled the 10 amp breakers for each circuit the voltage would climb about 3 volts each time but never went back until it jumped back on its own. This would even happen when I left the battery charger attached. I looked at the grounds and all seems to be ok. Please help!

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts #2  
Trace both big wires leaving the battery. Their other ends will bolt to something. Unbolt and clean that connection. If the problem persists it is probably at one of the crimped lugs on the big wires. Turn on the lights and see if one of the connections heats a little. Do you have a digital voltmeter?
larry

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts
Yes I have a voltmeter. I am also good with schematics and trouble shooting I tested the relays by taking them out and running a continuity check. I checked the timer relay. I did not check the engine shut off solenoid not yet sure where it is. I did put 12 volts on the starter solenoid with the key on and the same thing happened. I will pull the cables and clean them well in the morning.

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts #4  
If you can get the lights burning just measure Voltage end to end on each cable. Use the 200mV scale. The cable showing the highest V drop [mV end to end] is the one causing the trouble

I found out what the problem is. I took all the wires off the starter solenoid and checked continuity between the energizing terminal and ground I got a reading. So the starter is grounding out the voltage causing it to drop. I hope I got it right! I removed the starter and there's a lot of carbon on the splines! I re-attached the power without the starter and all is working. I just need a starter now? What do you think?

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts #6  
I think you have a bad cable that hi drain from the starter faults. Otherwise the V should go up immediately when you let off the key. Did you compare V drop in the 2 cables with lights on?

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts #7  
Spyderlk, great advice. Dave

Update! I really found out what the problem was and it is now fixed! The positive pole on the cable needed a real good cleaning! I cleaned it until it looked silver hooked it up and everything has worked fine since then! Thanks for all your help! Great web site!

/ Mahindra electrical & starting problem 5500 2006 voltage drops to 2 volts #9  
Whenever electrical problems occur, no matter what kind, it's always best to start with the battery and the terminals. It's the biggest, easiest thing to find and work on, and is frequently the problem.

Glad you found the problem.