Mahindra Max 28 electrical

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical #1  

drajj5

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 28, Bolens G14 repower
Guess there is a problem with my tractor. She won't start

Left it outside the other day to wash the dirt off of the tires and clean it- it was quite dirty. After it dried off I waxed it, 'It is my first NEW engine powered anything'. Having worked on old tired junk my whole life I have learned my way around automotive repair.....my newest truck is 30 years old.

Getting on the tractor to move it into the barn to put it up for the night, I turned the switch to 'on' and could hear and audible clicking noise coming from under the dash. Instrument cluster was fading in and out as if there was a loose ground or dead battery:confused3: However, It did crank and I headed to the barn flipping the headlights on to light my way. The engine shutdown instantly.

I have called my dealer and explained to them what happened and they think that there is water trapped in a cannon plug. I asked for a schematic of this tractor and for some reason the FAX that was sent to me was so small that I can barely make out the wires. I plan on keeping this tractor for a very-very long time so I will fix this dilemma on my own so that I fully understand it's inner workings. I have sent them an email stating if they cannot blow up the pic of the schematic I will just purchase the repair manual from them. We will see how they respond tomorrow.

I will add that I did find water in a cannon plug that connects to something...Perhaps someone could enlighten me as to what it is? There is a cylinder shaped (adjustable) metal tube affixed to the right hand side of the block. "looks to have a rather large locknut for adjusting and keeping it fixed in it's place". Located just above oil filter. After blowing out the water that was trapped in the plug, no positive effect resulted. I also found a loose connection at the injector ground 'blade connector'- fixed that with a 8mm socket.

Mahindra has a warranty, but it is not lifetime. Therefore, why not learn my new tractor? I will post the fix for those who will eventually have an issue like this for reference.

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical #2  
Not an electrical problem. Rock your fwd reverse treadle back to neutral spot and it will start right up. It wont start unless the neutral switch is triggered by the treadle.

Mine does it and yes it does the clicky flashing dashboard when it happens. . The return to neutral spring should be a little stronger than it is.

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical #3  
When you said you turned on the lights and it died, you pretty much describe a bad connection. I'd look at each connection, especially the grounds where they go to the frame. Also, on rare occasion we have had paint on the threads of the fuel shutoff solenoid and that creates a situation similar to what you describe. I'd first go for the battery ground. And water trapped in plugs can do goofy things, so it may be as simple as that.

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical
When you said you turned on the lights and it died, you pretty much describe a bad connection. I'd look at each connection, especially the grounds where they go to the frame. Also, on rare occasion we have had paint on the threads of the fuel shutoff solenoid and that creates a situation similar to what you describe. I'd first go for the battery ground. And water trapped in plugs can do goofy things, so it may be as simple as that.

I think you are right, I feel sure that it is nothing more than a bad connection.

I did get in touch with my dealer and he said it would be 65 bucks plus shipping to send it to me (I am out of state). He said that they print those books as they are needed and it may take a couple of days for me to get it. I think it is a small price to pay for such a valuable resource. Grounds - that is where I started (Battery/chassis/block) everywhere was checked, some did have paint underneath others didn't.

One thing is for certain, knowing which wires go where - will certainly help. Especially when using a VOM for troubleshooting. I will post the result all to see.

Not an electrical problem. Rock your fwd reverse treadle back to neutral spot and it will start right up. It wont start unless the neutral switch is triggered by the treadle.

Mine does it and yes it does the clicky flashing dashboard when it happens. . The return to neutral spring should be a little stronger than it is.

I have a Shuttle shift - the lever you described I think "floats on an axis", my switch is engaged via a lever that "lock's in each position". The push button switch is located in the center position of the three lever actions on the dashboard/firewall thingy. I have no idea the locations name so I hope that my description will do :)

I did find out what the cylinder shaped thing was - it was a ETR solenoid. Used to shut engine off when you turn ignition switch off.. For those who were curious.

IMG_5390.JPG

I hope you can see the pic, it shows where the problem was. There was no power to the "load Relay".....Well my meter read 12vdc but when a test light was used it would not light up. Bazaar; that voltage was present, however when I applied a load it voltage would drop off. It seems that the #10 hot wire was pig tailed to 3 other #10 wires. Only one of the three was somehow clean cut from the pig tail. The only connection the wires had was by electrical tape that secured the bundle. The location of the fault was hidden behind firewall on the passenger side by the gas tank. I had to remove the harness from the engine and pull it free so I could slowly unwrap the loom and electrical tape from the wires to find the problem connection.

I did get the repair manual from the dealer and it didn't specify where the junction that I was looking for resided. I did get a good clear wiring schematic that I could read. Hope this helps others out there who may have the same issue I had.

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical #7  
drajj5, that is some fine work you did, and thanks for sharing. I've sold hundreds of these Max 28 (used to be called 2415, then 2516, then Max 28, now Max 26) and have never seen this. I really appreciate that you would share and make us all a little smarter....

Thanks Dave,

I didn't know that all those were the same tractor!! That is neat info right there :) I do really like the size of this tractor, and its capabilities. Friends who have bigger tractors are amazed with just how nimble and powerful it is. Heck, I was even shocked at what it could do!

I want to express to those out there..... Any and all tractors are going to have an issue eventually , " Fix the problem and tractor on".

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical #9  
Drajj5, to quote you. "Only one of the three was somehow clean cut from the pig tail. The only connection the wires had was by electrical tape that secured the bundle. The location of the fault was hidden behind firewall on the passenger side by the gas tank. I had to remove the harness from the engine and pull it free so I could slowly unwrap the loom and electrical tape from the wires to find the problem connection."

Where does Mahindra get these retards that build these machines? Had you given it to your dealer to fix, your Mahindra would be as old as your newest pickup truck when you got it back. Good job.

FYI, I recently bought a 5035 PST. In the back of the Operator's Manual is the electrical schematic for the tractor. It is a two page affair that is folded to the size of one 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. Your maunal may be the same.

/ Mahindra Max 28 electrical #10  
Pretty harsh awsum67gto. The Max 28 is a super high quality machine. As I mentioned earlier, we have sold hundreds of them and have never ever seen an improperly crimped wire like he found. We see (very rarely) an occasional failed or maladjusted PTO safety switch in a no start situation, but I think the "retards" that put these Mitsubishi built Mahindras together do a very good job. I think he is a pretty awesome customer to find such a tricky failure and fix it and share and have a great attitude. I'll take him as a customer if I could.