4110 pto making noise

/ 4110 pto making noise #1  

coffeeman

Platinum Member
With no equipment hooked up, there is a gear slapping sound. Eying up the pto shaft while spinning, it wobbles . I believe the transmission oil is full. The dipstick is behind seat on left. So is fill point. I guess pto is part of transmission . It sounds like its running without oil. Unless its no part of tranny and I missed fill point and check point. Only has 750 hrs.

Ideas and suggestions??

Cheers. Coffeeman.

/ 4110 pto making noise #2  
You need to remove the seat and 3PH hydraulic unit, to open the top of the rear end case. I think then the problem will become clear.

/ 4110 pto making noise
You need to remove the seat and 3PH hydraulic unit, to open the top of the rear end case. I think then the problem will become clear.

Thanks for reply. I wonder if you would be kind enough to speculate on how it could have broke and the approximate cost. I'm going to fix myself if possible. My original dealer is no longer in business. All suggestions are appreciated . Haven't had chance to look into service manual yet.

Would it be ok to use box blade and other non Pto jobs?

Need to get idea how much time involved. I might fix up my old International LoBoy 154 for grass cutting. Shouldn't have let it sit broken. It needs all 3 pulleys replaced, new belt and 2 wheels on. Mower deck. I can guess the time needed to fix that . Thats probably going to take some time too.

Cheers. Wayne

Time is important.

/ 4110 pto making noise

Started inspection yesterday. Warning to all of us who work on anything. ( especially me). I arrived after seat was removed and floorboard too. In many cases its better if I don't even watch. To make long story short, I got wacked in head with roll bar. Almost went out. Real dissy . Bloody head and injured hand. Trip to emergency room. Since my blood is thin, a CT scan was given. No bleeding in brain (I'm sure they had to look hard to find brain). Maybe a slight concussion. X-ray for my right hand too. I guess I tried to stop bar. I'm happy I didn't get more damage. Things happen.

The icing on cake, I am real serious about safety. "You can't be too safe." I've said hundreds of times. I should have noticed the pins weren't in bar, it's something I would see usually.

So purpose of post to all our brothers and sisters of TBN; You can't be too careful. Parking, lock brakes, in gear, wheels toward curb or hill, shut motor while hooking pto, safety guards replaced when needed and all the simple things to protect us and others. Accidents seem to sneak out of nowhere. One more thing, getting slammed by bar really hurts.

Cheers Coffeeman

/ 4110 pto making noise

Your info was on the money. There were 2 or three gears with broken teeth. I haven't seen them as I was visiting hospital during work. I guess broken parts would be easy to match as they might have part numbers? Are the 4110s all pretty much same in rear end, pto etc.? Do these parts crossover even to other series than the 10 series. Tym I guess is somewhat changeable too if I'm thinking right.

Cheers. Coffeeman

/ 4110 pto making noise #6  
Your best parts access, would be your Mahindra dealer.

/ 4110 pto making noise
Your best parts access, would be your Mahindra dealer.

Job is done. Took 2 1/2 weeks for parts out of Texas. So $600 bucks parts, lots of fluid and another days labor and I'm back in business. I did think parts was a bit too long to get.

Two big gears were broke. Half tooth broke on both. I can't believe. They are pretty strong gears. Only thing I can figure brush hog might have knocked them out. But, hog hasn't been on tractor for 25 hours or more.

On power take off, isn't there some kind of ratchet device that goes on the driveline that protects the tractor from being damaged by hitting rocks, logs etc. or, am I thinking about something else.

My tractor running nice again.

Cheers. Coffeeman.