Oil & Fuel Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Synthetic Oil #41  
It just occurred to me that DarkBlack basically called me a liar. Well DB, you don't know me, and you have no basis to make such a claim. Apparently scurrilous accusations must be what you resort to when you run out of facts to support your case. But everything I posted about my personal use of synthetic oils is true. And I have over 2 million miles of personal vehicle experience with synthetics, not even including tractor experience. I await your apology.

/ Synthetic Oil #42  
Sound guy is correct. It is a Federal law.

/ Synthetic Oil #43  
Not sure how Amsoil's 2-stroke oil compares to oil you'll use in a 4-stroke or diesel, but...

I fly a powered paraglider and I have a 202cc 2-stroke on my back. I've seen more guys have engine problems in the sport due to crappy oil. I've used Amsoil 2-stroke oil in my engine since I started flying it and now with over 1000 hours on it, it still cranks first pull, runs great. I haven't pulled the head once. Still original parts and still going strong.

I use it in all my small 2-stroke powered equipment and get the same performance. Easy crank, long life. Heck, I have a cheap Homelite weedeater that was a pain to start and ran like crap. I started using the same Amsoil 2-stroke oil in it and now it runs great. 8 years old and still whacking weeds.

If that speaks to the quality of their oil, I wouldn't have a problem using their oil in my tractor.

I'm getting ready to do the 50 hour service on my 5035 and I want to go synthetic. I'll definitely look at Amsoil.

I often wondered if there really was a benefit to synthetics for two-cycle applications. The oil does not remain in the engine very long, so this comes as a surprise to me.

/ Synthetic Oil #44  
Sorta how I think about it too. Oil is pretty much oil. If a certain grade is indicated on the bottle, then it's as good as any other brand with the same grade on it.

Buy what ever makes you happy.
Really? MOTOR OIL

/ Synthetic Oil #46  
WOW, talk about the motor oil bible! :thumbsup:

Yeah, it kinda puts to rest the idea that all oils with a similar spec are equal. Not even close! But one thing I would like to point out about this guy's tests is that they were done with fresh oil, not oil that has been used in an engine for awhile. On the basis of wear tests only, some fresh mineral oils are as good as some of the synthetics, though the best oils in each class were synthetics in most cases. However, in an engine, the more volatile components of mineral oil evaporate, leaving behind the longer molecules which is what the NOACK volatility tests are all about. Some oils go way up in viscosity, even with 3000 mile oil change intervals. Most synthetics do not increase viscosity much, because their base oil has a narrow molecular weight distribution (in other words, same chain length, basically.) Also, the base stocks of most synthetics are more thermally stable, so they do not oxidize as easily. So, under real engine conditions, the synthetics as a group produce less wear than the mineral oils as a group, especially if oil change intervals are extended. I was chagrined to find that the Amsoil 5W-40 oil sold today for diesel engines equipped with DPF systems are not as good as the 3000 series 5W-30 that I used to use. And nothing else out there is, either. But since the Mahindra tractors have no DPF, I will use the 3000 series if I end up buying that Mahindra 5035.

/ Synthetic Oil #47  
You have obviously never poured 10W-30 mineral oil and 10W-30 synthetic at -10F .
You obviously have no clue about coking at various temperatures with turbo operation?

/ Synthetic Oil #48  
You have obviously never poured 10W-30 mineral oil and 10W-30 synthetic at -10F .
You obviously have no clue about coking at various temperatures with turbo operation?
Whom are you replying to? That post does not seem to relate to what I just said. Synthetics pour better at low temperatures. I have had no trouble starting at -34F with 5W-40 synthetics, though I now use 0W20 in my cars. I have had 3 turbodiesels so far, and I used synthetic on all of them. Even with synthetic, I have taken the time to idle a few minutes before shutdown when I have been towing a heavy load, precisely to avoid coking. My only turbo failure was on my 2005 Ford 6.0l engine, and it wasn't the oil side that failed. It was soot buildup on the turbine side, blocking rotation. But the 6.0l engine had a lot of deficiencies.

/ Synthetic Oil #49  
It just occurred to me that DarkBlack basically called me a liar. Well DB, you don't know me, and you have no basis to make such a claim. Apparently scurrilous accusations must be what you resort to when you run out of facts to support your case. But everything I posted about my personal use of synthetic oils is true. And I have over 2 million miles of personal vehicle experience with synthetics, not even including tractor experience. I await your apology.

I didn't say you're a liar. I implied before, and I'm saying now for the record that I find your story hard to believe. Funny thing: as I write this post, you show as having 25 TBN posts, to go with your 25k oil changes, to go with your 250k car lives!:laughing: Now that's funny.
You certainly won't get an apology from me. You can post all the stories you want here, trying to promote whatever brand you are selling, but I certainly don't have to buy either the product or the internet story you put with it.

/ Synthetic Oil #50  
I didn't say you're a liar. I implied before, and I'm saying now for the record that I find your story hard to believe. Funny thing: as I write this post, you show as having 25 TBN posts, to go with your 25k oil changes, to go with your 250k car lives!:laughing: Now that's funny.
You certainly won't get an apology from me. You can post all the stories you want here, trying to promote whatever brand you are selling, but I certainly don't have to buy either the product or the internet story you put with it.

Well, now, you wrote "Look at you go! If you're gonna' spread it on... spread it on thick." and "That sounds like a 'story' from an amsoil salesman.". In my book, those two statements constitute calling me a liar. And you did not even do me the courtesy of reading my reply to you thoroughly, where I wrote "And I am not an Amsoil salesman. I have never sold oil in my life." If you can't handle the truth, admit it. But don't accuse me of lying. My only motivation is to clear up some misinformation about synthetic oils on this forum. I have never been involved in the sale of any kind of consumer product, much less motor oil. I make my living as a consulting Chemical Engineer. I am a co-owner of a tree farm on the side, hence my interest in and ownership of tractors. I make my living out of being technically correct and doing research as needed. And I understand not only the fact that synthetic oils have demonstrable benefits, I understand why they do, from a chemistry perspective. Frankly, I don't care what you put in your tractor. You can put kitchen grease in it for all I care. But you do a disservice to others when you claim there is no benefit to synthetic oils when the data show otherwise. As I write this, sitting in my driveway is a 1999 Saturn SC1, with about 280,000 miles on it. I bought it with 32000 miles on it, and switched to synthetic oil immediately. I have kept all the oil change records, and I have used 25000 mile oil change intervals since I got it, changing filters at 12500 miles until Amsoil came out with a filter that is rated for 25000 miles. If you have the guts to come to Ohio to see it for yourself, I will show it to you, and my oil change records. Meanwhile, yes, you do owe me an apology. If you don't provide one, that does not change my life, but it shows others on this forum that you have no honor.

Status
Not open for further replies.