Oil & Fuel Synthetic Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Synthetic Oil #1  

cbhill3574

Tractor
Mahindra Max 28
Has anyone switched to running synthetic 15w-40 in their Mahindra? I can not find any reference in the owners manual whether or not it is acceptable to use synthetic oil. I use Amsoil 15w-40 in most every diesel I have. Just got a new Max 28 and would like to use it in that as well.

/ Synthetic Oil #2  
does the syn oil in question meet the API spec listed in the tractors owners manual? If so.. you can run it. Remember.. the manufacturer can't force you to use a specific oil unless they provide it.

/ Synthetic Oil #3  
does the syn oil in question meet the API spec listed in the tractors owners manual? If so.. you can run it. Remember.. the manufacturer can't force you to use a specific oil unless they provide it.

Not sure I agree with that. There are lots of manufacturers that specify types and even specific manufacturers of oil- Including machinery built by the company I represent. You will always be 100% correct every time you use whatever the manufacture recommends. That is at least- if you want to keep your warranty intact. Where will Amzoil be if you had an engine failure? Nowhere! You will have to deal with the manufacture of the equipment if there are any warranty considerations. Although, I will be willing to bet the manual for your tractor lists an approved alternate synthetic oil, or lower viscosity grades of oils based on ambient operating temperatures. Can I assume you are asking this about your Max 28XL? Honestly, I haven't looked specifically in the Mahindra Max 25/28 manual for what it says about alternates or synthetics.

Just as food for thought... Much of the oil specifications (especially API!) are due to EPA restrictions in the automotive industry. Off-road and diesel engines have been allowed to play by a different set of rules here in the United States until recently (i.e. Tier compliance). An example of that would be such as ZDDP additive levels have been lowered for API approval. There is lots on the net you can search about that.

/ Synthetic Oil
Yes it is the Max 28XL. I have looked in the manual and it mentions several different viscosities based on operating temperature but I did not see anything about synthetic. It did have recommendations of particular brands to use though.

/ Synthetic Oil #5  
I would go with one of those specific oils in the list and nothing else. That is unless you can get something in writing from Mahindra.

/ Synthetic Oil #6  
Not sure I agree with that. There are lots of manufacturers that specify types and even specific manufacturers of oil- Including machinery built by the company I represent. .

If the co you represent specifies a specific branded part or oil ( not just a specification ) and without that branded oil they do not honor the warranty and if they do not provide this oil or part, then your company has likely violated 15 USC 2302(c) of the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) a united states federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) This law was passed in 1975. Specifically the tie in sales provision is being violated here.

So.. you wouldn't want to mention who you work for do ya? :)

Here's the legalese "(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumer’s using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name"

A company can apply for a waiver, which then becomes public record, if they can convince the commission that their product can and only will work by using a specific branded oil or service.... otherwise , without that federal waiver.. if you tell your customers they have to use brand x oil to keep your warranty.. then you have to provide them with that brand x oil...

So again.. who did you work for.. I think I'll go check to see if they have any waivers listed ;)

/ Synthetic Oil #7  
Thanks souNdguy.... Without getting into a pi$$ing match with you over whether my employer is in strict legal compliance (which has nothing to do with what cbhill3574 asked), Ill stand secure in what I said. Go with what Mahindra recommends in the manual and you can't go wrong. They are the one backing the warranty not the oil companies. They are the ones with empirical evidence of success/failure for their specific application. Oil companies sure make a lot of marketing claims that sound pretty convincing though! Who are you going to trust?

...Or you can put whatever oil you want in it and ignore what me or anyone else has to say. Advise is free here on an open forum.

/ Synthetic Oil #8  
A manufacturer can "recommend" a brand of oil. They can't say you "must" use a certain brand, unless you signed a special agreement as to such, stating specifically your warranty is void if you use a different oil company ( I would run from a manufacturer who would do this ).
If you think about it, It would be illogical to allow that. That oil brand might not be available near someone, or they might not be in business anymore in the future.

/ Synthetic Oil #9  
Unless the Manufacturer specifically recommends a specific breaking oil for your engine, (rare), it will not matter if you run mineral, or synthetic oil. Compare them, and you will see that both have nearly identical properties in normal operating conditions. The only real difference in lubricity being, synthetic can handle more extreme temperatures.

Go to an oil company web site, and read their information. Or, send them an E-mail. You will find they will guarantee compatibility, and that running their synthetic oil, cannot, and will not void your warranty if you use it in place of the proper mineral oil. I know for sure, Amsoil will be happy guarantee your engine will be covered, if you discuss that with them.

The mind set in these discussions, seems to always be that there is a real possibility of the engine failing during the warranty period, and that people have warranty issues. But, the reality is, these engines rarely fail during the warranty time period. And my experience has been, when one has, it gets covered no matter what, because it was a serious defect.

I am sure someone on here will say otherwise, but, I worked on vehicles my entire life, and I have never heard of a manufacturer requesting an oil sample, or paperwork to verify anything was, or wasn't used, as far as oil, when an engine failed. It is always a serious defect, and they already know about the problem, from previous failures.

Manufacturers want to avoid the bad publicity involved in things like that. Especially today, with a forum like this, for that kind of information to spread on.

Last edited:
   / Synthetic Oil #10  
Thanks souNdguy.... Without getting into a pi$$ing match with you over whether my employer is in strict legal compliance (which has nothing to do with what cbhill3574 asked), Ill stand secure in what I said. Go with what Mahindra recommends in the manual and you can't go wrong. They are the one backing the warranty not the oil companies. They are the ones with empirical evidence of success/failure for their specific application. Oil companies sure make a lot of marketing claims that sound pretty convincing though! Who are you going to trust?

...Or you can put whatever oil you want in it and ignore what me or anyone else has to say. Advise is free here on an open forum.

sure it has everything to do with the ops question. the M & M act prohibits it with specific exemption. :)

Besides. Do you honestly think mahindra has an oil refinery. even if they sell their own branded oil.. someone else made it. Chances are.. the engineers used a set of book specs based onthe parts, and then reccomended an oil spec, and perhaps thru marketing agreement.. an oil brand. The M & M act prevents them from forcing you, without exemption or providing the oil or service free of charge.

that's the entire point of the law...

Status
Not open for further replies.