New 28 XL HST Owner

/ New 28 XL HST Owner #1  

BudMan5

Tractor
Mahindra 28XL HSTJD 915E and JD D140
Been lurking a while and reading to learn as much as possible. Finally went shopping and bought a new Mahindra 28 XL HST with FEL and BH.
I am such a novice that I didn't even know what FEL, BH, MMM and ROPS even stood for until I learned on this forum.

I bought the 28 XL as I had decided it was the best choice for me. I have just over 3 acres in lawn which the JD garden tractor handles just fine. The rest is all in hardwood forest including an overgrown (by trees) half acre pond. The pond has been sucked dry by the trees.

I am waiting for my 28 to be delivered. The BH was ordered last on the July 2 and still hasn't arrived at the dealer (as of this past Wednesday)

I am hoping for some help in learning the controls of the tractor as this is all a first time experience for me.

/ New 28 XL HST Owner #2  
You're dealer should do a walk through it all when he delivers it. It's all fairly intuitive after that. Read the owners manual, and that will help.

The last time I was on a tractor before I bought Max25 was 25+ years ago. That was a Ford 8N geared.

A suggestion that any of the smaller parts like cotter pins, turnbuckles, etc. that can come loose is to get yellow, red, or orange fluorescent paint and paint them so they stick out in grass or dirt.

/ New 28 XL HST Owner #3  
if you've never used an HST before, you've got some learning to do.

You must keep in mind that the 'go' pedal is NOT and accelerator pedal. It's instinct to to think that if you want more power, you push the pedal..... this is not so with an HST. The HST is your transmission pedal, the more you push it, the higher the 'gear' you go into. It actually provides you with an infinite number or 'gears'.

To use the hst correctly, the more power you need, the more you back off the pedal, that is you shift it down into lower 'gears' by backing off the pedal.

Maintain an engine RPM that provides you the power you need, keep it constant and just drive into the load backing off the pedal as you meet with resistance.

It becomes intuitive the more you do it...and you'll learn to love the control it gives you.

good luck and have fun with your new baby.

/ New 28 XL HST Owner
and it's here. Moved an old overgrown pile of gravel as my first practice, that was amazing

Just arrived.jpg