Traction Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST)

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST) #1  

TOSA Ranch

Hey Guys,
My Mahindra 3016 HST only has 20 hours on it and I've had my first issue. I can't seem to get the rear differential locker to engage. It's just a pedal on the floor and I've used it in the past without issue, but now it's not working. I'm new to tractor mechanics so is there an adjustable linkage or something that isn't tightened up possibly? I'll be calling the dealer after the weekend but if I can avoid dragging it 45 minutes there and back for warranty work, I'd just as soon fix it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST) #2  
Hey Guys,
My Mahindra 3016 HST only has 20 hours on it and I've had my first issue. I can't seem to get the rear differential locker to engage. It's just a pedal on the floor and I've used it in the past without issue, but now it's not working. I'm new to tractor mechanics so is there an adjustable linkage or something that isn't tightened up possibly? I'll be calling the dealer after the weekend but if I can avoid dragging it 45 minutes there and back for warranty work, I'd just as soon fix it myself.

I brought mine in just prior to the end of the full two-year warranty for a similar issue. Mine hadn't stopped working, but was slipping. The dealer had to tear apart the rear end and put in a new "locker". The parts that lock together had worn some. It's a cheap locking mechanism, just have the dealer replace it. I believe there is an adjustment, and am not certain, but it may be on the right side (as sitting on it). Look for a rod with an adjustment like a tie rod end.

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST) #3  
Ditto here. I could engage it in reverse, but if I tried to use it driving forward, it would slip out; it felt like a ratchet, with an angled gear forcing the pedal back up. Mine is a 3316HST, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has the same differential as yours.

It would have been expensive if not under warranty.

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST) #4  
Many of these differential lock problem are due to operator error, i.e., holding the pedal down after the lock has engaged, holding down the pedal while turning. For best results, read the operators manual.

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST) #5  
CAM00334.jpgCAM00336(3).jpg

He you go. One key locks to the other. See the edges where wear started. I don't think they engage positively enough and is why they slip. Poor mahindra design...:confused3:

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST)
Thanks for all your help guys. I'll be taking back to my dealer since it's only a month old and should easily be covered by warranty.

/ Locking rear-end won't engage (Mahindra 3016 HST)
Aching back hit it on the head. The locking diff was broken, most likely due to me engaging it while wheels were turning. I guess I assumed they were more like a locking rear or limited slip on a pick up truck but they are significantly smaller and less beefy. Enough to hold the load but not intended to be engaged while the differential is moving. Luckily, my dealer (Dave's Tractor in Red Bluff CA) warrantee'd it and I was back on my tractor the next day.