trouble starting

/ trouble starting #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
I have developed a problem when starting my new tractor. It just turned 30 hrs and when I go to start it I have to try three or four times. It will just click the first few times and then finally start. I've been pushing dead pine trees and brush could I have knocked something loose?

/ trouble starting #2  
It does not sound like the transmission saftey limit switch that I had problems with the other day. If the limit switch becomes disconnected, the starter will not turn over at all. Have you checked your battery? Have you tried to jump start it at the starter? It runs okay once you get it started? Are you waiting for your glow plug light to go out before you try to start it?

/ trouble starting
Seems to be a faulty solenoid. If you keep hitting the switch eventually it will start. I've checked all the connections and can't find anything loose. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ trouble starting #5  
I have the same problem with my 6000. Most days it turns right over and other days I have to play with it a while to get it to start. I too have checked everything and found nothing wrong. I have had the dealer look at it but it is like going to the Dentist with a tooth ache, when you get there it doesn’t hurt anymore. I am inclined to agree with you that it is faulty solenoid. In my case it is under warrantee and if it gives up the ghost they get to come to the ranch and replace it. Being that the electrical components are made by “Lucas” may be the answer. Those of us that were in the aircraft industry and those of us who owned British motorcycles use to call Lucas the “Prince of Darkness” because of the unreliable nature of there components. We use to joke about it and said that is why the English drank warm beer because Lucas made the components for the refrigeration units.

/ trouble starting #6  
I've had this happen a couple of times with my 6500, when it is cold. My theory is this: There is a manifold heater (not mentioned in manual, but identified in wiring diagram - dealer didn't even know it existed). The heater light is over the horn button. I think that this heater is temperature sensitive. When it is activated can't turn engine over. Have to wait with key on (right turn) for a minute or so to let the heater work. I sent an email to Mahindra's "Production & Support" last week about it. I haven't received an answer.

Bob

/ trouble starting #7  
One additional note. The manifold heater is connected through a "Timer Relay" (see wiring diagram). Not sure exactly what it does, but it may explain the wait in turning over the motor.

Bob

/ trouble starting
Doesn't make a bit of sense in my case. Never had any trouble starting right off the bat in 20 degree weather, but it's been 60 lately and have to hit the key now over 20 times to get it started.
That's a little screwy about there being a manifold heater and it not being mentioned in the manual. Seems they would want all their options exposed.
Worth a try though. Tommorrow I'll go out and turn the key on for a minute before I try to start it.

/ trouble starting #9  
I agree it is strange, but I still think there is a good chance the starting problem is connected to the manifold heater and/or "Timer Relay"

I had problem with my tractor turning over when the temperature was in the teens. It would turn over but very slow. The tractor was delivered without the block heater I had requested. When the dealer came to get the tractor to install it, I told him how the tractor would barely turn over below 20 degrees. I should add that the heater light never came on when I turned the key on.

The tractor seems to start better now, although we haven't had any temperatures in the low teens since it was returned. The dealer said he "optimized the electrical grounding" (his words). After it was returned the heater light would come on when I turned the key. Prior to its return I never had a problen engaging the starter when I turned the key. After the return, I had the problem twice. Each times I would leave the key on while I checked to see that trans & pto where in neutral. By the time I finished checking, the tractor would turn over. Both times the trans & pto were in neutral, but maybe a safety switch was still engaged and the movement of the levers switched it off. If it happens again, I'm not going to touch the levers and leave the key on for a minute or two before try to engage the starter again.

It is strange that there is no mention of the manifold heater in the manuel, but it is there; at least on mine. It sure would be nice to have an explanation on how it works. My dealer doesn't know. He said he was going to contact the service representative for an explanation.

Bob

/ trouble starting
If the tractor was warm, why would the block heater be a factor? Mine won't start back even after it's been running 3 hours. Tried it today and left the key on for atleast 2 mins before trying to start it and still over 20 times to engage. Gonna call my dealer Monday and see what he thinks.