Good Tractor Dumb owner

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #1  

rorischak

Tractor
Mahindra Max 25 TLB
Hey Guys, I have now turned 15 hours on my Max 25 TLB. I really do love the machine and it more than enough power and traction for everything i have to do on my property. I am finding more stuff to do everyday with it and my wife is beginning to hate that tractor because i am using it just to use it at this point.

I do have one issue but it is not exactly the tractors problem. I was using the front bucket to back drag and all was well. The problem existed that i drove over a pile of scraps that i mounded up and felt something weird. next thing you know the rear wheel was spinning. I got hung up on part of a stump that i dug out. I got off the stump and glanced under and everything looked fine. An hour later i parked the tractor for some lunch and afterward i came back and the tractor would not start. I knew it was a safety switch but did not know where. I checked the seat switch and PTO levers. I then crawled under the passenger side of the tractor and seen that there is a switch for the tredle pedal and noticed the bracket that holds it is all bent to **** as well as the hydro line bent and a dented hyd filter (not the one that is hanging in the horizontal position it is the one up under the rear wheel by the mid PTO.

My point to telling all of that is i wish there was addtional skid plates under the tractor to protect this stuff since the ground clearance is not a ton on these units. Although everythign was fine b/c i was able to bend everything back into place but would love more protection but at the end of the day everyone needs to be aware.

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #2  
Welcome rorischak, sorry to hear about your misfortune. It seems that you have had your first battle scar acquired on your tractor. Welcome to the club, many others including myself have managed to find our tractors weaknesses. Thanks for sharing yours. I found that my loader will lift the rear end off of the ground and create, "The Pucker Effect". I didn't damage anything but my pride that day.....There have been a lot of close calls while using my tractor but I trudge through and finish the task at hand. There could be an entire thread about (dumb things we have done while using a tractor) but few would share those experience's.

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #3  
Always seems strange to me that the tall tractors have a much "tougher" underside than the low tractors.

Bruce

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #4  
in addition, I just read somewhere, farming is one of the more dangerous jobs. Even more dangerous than a policeman.
Some of use are not farmers, but handling equipment like ours does have some dangerous moments.

Coffeeman

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #5  
My Kubota is the same. Way too many vulnerable pipes, hoses etc. Already displaced most things under the tractor. Skid plates are in order. Fortunately I have an old Massey, back when the hydraulic pump etc was inside the rear housing. That tractor is a real bush machine.

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #6  
My 4510 had the same problem. The prior owner welded angle iron to the frame and slid/attached a 3/16 plate to protect that area. I still have problems on the right side as between us three fuel filter assemblies have been hit or damaged or caused a leak in some manner.
I have a Yanmar 336 also and it seems like the vulnerable items are more protected/out of the way.
As I said if one just stayed in clean fields there would be no problems but if one bush hogs samplings etc. damage does occur at times.

/ Good Tractor Dumb owner #7  
. I was using the front bucket to back drag and all was well. The problem existed that i drove over a pile of scraps that i mounded up and felt something weird. next thing you know the rear wheel was spinning.

Compact tractors are not dozers. As best as possible I would not drive over anything you have mounded up. If you don't have a grapple, they are great for piling up debris to burn, etc.