Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #1  

drajj5

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 28, Bolens G14 repower
I have a Mahindra max 28 and am debating what to do. My brother gave me a set of forklift forks to use on my tractor (forks only). This series of tractor does not have a (quick attach system). So here is my dilemma

FEL has a lift of { 1402 lbs @ pivot pins } according to the brochure.
3pt has a lift of { 2205 lbs @ ? } according to the brochure. It didn't specify if at the ends of the arms.......

I can make a quick attach for the loader to install the forks or utilize the 3pt for its lifting capacity. It would certainly be used if placed on either end of the tractor but which end- to get the most lift would make the most sense. I will not be placing heavy things high on shelves and have a great loading dock, "hill/bank for loading 4 wheeler lawnmower into bed of truck". I would like to transport palletized wood/engines and other heavy things more easily though. Perhaps there is someone who has used both variations could give some insight on the use of their forks.

Also, does someone have the formula to calculate the 2205 to the bar ends? Maybe that is the quoted weight limit at the ends? I am unsure.

I am certain that any load I move would be safer at the rear of the tractor, we all tend to push the limits of them from time to time. Here is the Pdf that I got the info from.

Attachments

• 20825_Max_Series_brochure_051513.pdf
    580.3 KB · Views: 189
   / Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #2  
Well, heavy weight far behind the rear wheels will give you the tendency to pop wheelies, which could be a concern. If you could determine the weight distribution of the tractor (even approximate), you could determine how much weight can hang off the back of the 3-pt before the front wheels go airborne. Same issue could affect rear wheels when using the FEL (and I have personally observed this). So I'd say run the numbers for both options to get an idea which end of the tractor gives you more margin for lifting.

You might also want to consider ballast. It may be easier to add ballast to the rear to allow the FEL to do its job than to add ballast to the FEL to allow the 3-pt to do it. Lots to think about.

Offhand, I suspect the 3-pt will win this comparison. Historically, tractors have stronger rear wheels than fronts, so I kind of like the idea of putting weight on the rear, which also improves traction. You just need to make sure you keep the front wheels on the ground.

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #3  
I have a Mahindra max 28 and am debating what to do. My brother gave me a set of forklift forks to use on my tractor (forks only). This series of tractor does not have a (quick attach system). So here is my dilemma

3pt has a lift of { 2205 lbs @ ? } according to the brochure. It didn't specify if at the ends of the arms.......

I can make a quick attach for the loader to install the forks or utilize the 3pt for its lifting capacity. It would certainly be used if placed on either end of the tractor but which end- to get the most lift would make the most sense. I will not be placing heavy things high on shelves and have a great loading dock, "hill/bank for loading 4 wheeler lawnmower into bed of truck". I would like to transport palletized wood/engines and other heavy things more easily though. Perhaps there is someone who has used both variations could give some insight on the use of their forks. Now you can carry ballast and pick up things with the forks.

Also, does someone have the formula to calculate the 2205 to the bar ends? Maybe that is the quoted weight limit at the ends? I am unsure.

I am certain that any load I move would be safer at the rear of the tractor, we all tend to push the limits of them from time to time. Here is the Pdf that I got the info from.

I think it would be better if you made the quiktach for the front end and got yourself a carry-all from Tractor Supply for the rear. They are less than $125 and can carry 1000 ibs. You can beef it up and carry more weight. This stem weighs close to 1700# but I welded in another plate for the hitch pin area along with welding in some angle iron for the bottom forks. Mine did not have side support so I made them bolting and welding them to the angle iron.

Attachments

• PA123772.jpg
    PA123772.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 943
  • IMG_2108.jpg
    IMG_2108.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
   / Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #4  
I use a set of forks on the 3pt to move full pallet loads of split hard wood. I suspect they weigh more than my FEL can lift, and by a fair amount. The limitations to using forks on the rear are lift height, lack of visibility without turning around and need to manually tilt by adjusting the top link. If you have TnT, using the forks gets much easier and productive, especially if you need to pick up pallets on uneven ground.
Adapting the forks to pin onto my FEL is on my to-do list, just not at the top of it.
Member K0ua has a good thread about doing this.

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL
Historically, tractors have stronger rear wheels than fronts, You just need to make sure you keep the front wheels on the ground.

I never thought about the axle's weight carrying capacity- prompted me to dig that info up. straight from the owners manual.

Ballast for your tractor includes front-end weights, rear wheel weights and liquid ballast in the
rear tires. Front-end weights improve the steering characteristic when heavy hitch loads cause
a movement of tractor weight from the front to the rear wheels. Rear wheel weights and adding
liquid to the rear tires increase traction by putting weight on the driving wheels.
IMPORTANT: The Maximum operating weight of tractor should not exceed the following values.
The operating weight of tractor includes the weight of tractor, ballast weight and implement.
Front Axle ???????...1200kg (2646lbs)
Rear Axle ????????200kg (2646lbs)
Total ????????000kg (4410lbs)

Interesting, I didn't know that the axles capabilities were equal. Guess that it doesn't matter which end I place it based on the figures above.

I have had weight on the loader and like you have experienced the (heeby jeebies) which is not fun. I am sure 90% of those here on TBN that own a loader would agree with you. Thanks for your input.

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #6  

I can make a quick attach for the loader to install the forks or utilize the 3pt for its lifting capacity. It would certainly be used if placed on either end of the tractor but which end- to get the most lift would make the most sense. I will not be placing heavy things high on shelves and have a great loading dock, "hill/bank for loading 4 wheeler lawnmower into bed of truck". I would like to transport palletized wood/engines and other heavy things more easily though. Perhaps there is someone who has used both variations could give some insight on the use of their forks.

To answer your questions, naturally the loader will be able to raise the forks much higher than the 3 pt. but the 3 pt. will be able to handle more weight. With a little work by replacing the loader bolts with the same size pull pins (mine were 1" dia. on a 2615HST) you could obtain a quick attach adapter to use with other quick attach implements. If you do mount the forks up front you will need counterweight on the rear. I believe the 2205 is the 3 pt. lift at 24" back (which would be the ends of the lift arms). That's what my 2615 would lift also.

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL
arrow----- that pic you posted looks to be much safer in the back than the front. Does it make your front end light, This is certainly an option that I am considering

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #8  
I have had weight on the loader and like you have experienced the (heeby jeebies) which is not fun. I am sure 90% of those here on TBN that own a loader would agree with you. Thanks for your input.

I even did the dummy move of getting the tractor's rear end to bounce when lowering the front bucket too fast. And then did it a second time before I realized my error. It actually hurt my neck. I am sure the front axle felt some pain too! I usually always put on rear ballast (box blade) before using the front loader for heavy stuff, but skipped it that time because I was only getting one bucket and was in a hurry. Lesson learned....

/ Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #9  
arrow----- that pic you posted looks to be much safer in the back than the front. Does it make your front end light, This is certainly an option that I am considering

Not at all or I should say none that I noticed.

I had to move some wood this aft and I added a picture of such to my first post above. This is what I meant by utilizing both ends at once to take advantage of ballast and efficiency. This is another shot from the other side. Cannot see much detail from either but it should get the point across about weight distribution.

If you double click on the photo, it may blow it up some.

Attachments

• IMG_2106.jpg
    IMG_2106.jpg
    793.7 KB · Views: 409
   / Pallet forks on 3pt vs FEL #10  
I think there must be a typo in the axle capacities. Just look at the difference.

You wont loose much lift capacity going further back on the 3ph. Its a parallelogram style lift. I'd say you should have no issues lifting and moving 1800-2000lb pallets as long as you can keep the front wheels down.

So the issue there becomes the hydraulics can lift more than I would be comfortable with on that tractor.

The loader, maybe half that amount.

Why not make it to be able to be used on both front and rear. shouldnt be that hard