Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
I have 3 Kubotas; 2 tractors and a RTV, and one old Komatsu excavator.

The smaller Kubota a 32 Year old B7200 Compact, still has a like new motor and the gear and PT0 never have given me trouble, but the tractor itself is just plain wore out. Front end, Loader and some of the hydraulics are really worn and tired.

I decided the coat and effort to fix thinks on this great little worn out tired girl just is not worth it.

I bet I could get good money for someone with a lightly used B7200 that needs major parts, like gear transmission etc.

It stupid what old Kubotas bring for prices., even stupider what new ones are going for.

So I am considering a Max, the bigger 28 in a gear, as it will do a lot of ground engagement, as well as the lighter loader work.

I like the weight, but the weight seems not to be quality weight.

I see lots of disappointment in the owners on this Mahindra Tractor forum and other forums that sure give me pause.

Poor engineering design, spotty material quality and assembly.

Lots of low hour machines with problems unheard of with most Kubota tractors.

I consider a machine with 2000 hours early mid life.

Anyone out there with a Mahindra Tractor with +2000 hours, and if so what did it take to get you there?

I need equipment that I can count on not having to spend a lot of time fixing. I need to use my time operating.

I think I need to look over these Indian machines really close.

I would really appreciate honest meaninful feedback.

Thank you.

Last edited:
   / Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #2  
I don't know what forum you have been reading but I haven't seen a lot of dissatisfied with Mahindra Max 28. I have had mine for over 2 years, it was one of the first off the line. It has done everything I have asked and more. You might narrow your search for Mahindra Max 28, I image you can find fault in any brand if you look hard enough.

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #3  
I have 3 Kubotas; 2 tractors and a RTV, and one old Komatsu excavator.

The smaller Kubota a 32 Year old B7200 Compact, still has a like new motor and the gear and PT0 never have given me trouble, but the tractor itself is just plain wore out. Front end, Loader and some of the hydraulics are really worn and tired.

I decided the coat and effort to fix thinks on this great little worn out tired girl just is not worth it.

I bet I could get good money for someone with a lightly used B7200 that needs major parts, like gear transmission etc.

It stupid what old Kubotas bring for prices., even stupider what new ones are going for.

So I am considering a Max, the bigger 28 in a gear, as it will do a lot of ground engagement, as well as the lighter loader work.

I like the weight, but the weight seems not to be quality weight.

I see lots of disappointment in the owners on this Mahindra Tractor forum and other forums that sure give me pause.

I consider a machine with 2000 hours early mid life.

Anyone out there with a Mahindra Tractor with +2000 hours, and if so what did it take to get you there?

I need equipment that I can count on not having to spend a lot of time fixing. I need to use my time operating.

Thank you.
You haven't read about Max28 owners being disappointed because those threads do not exist, to my recollection. Not that it matters, but the Max 28 is not an Indian machine. It is built by Mitsubishi.

In my opinion, you are making things up and have no intention of buying a Mahindra. Sorry if I have falsely accused you. If you are so happy with Kubota, why not be loyal to the brand?

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #4  
Yea if your happy with Kubota, why change?

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment
You haven't read about Max28 owners being disappointed because those threads do not exist, to my recollection. Not that it matters, but the Max 28 is not an Indian machine. It is built by Mitsubishi.

In my opinion, you are making things up and have no intention of buying a Mahindra. Sorry if I have falsely accused you. If you are so happy with Kubota, why not be loyal to the brand?

I'm not brand loyal, i look at product, and dealer support as objective as I can.

I really can't afford Mahindra Tractor never mind a Kubota. A Kubota with similar specs is Plus 20K. I have found a new Leftover Max28 snd hear is my reasoning for getting a new tractor.
Even if i keep the little Kubota running I doubt it will be around when I finally get to old to play farmer anymore. (10 Years or so?) The Kubota has always not been quite enought tractor, and its manual steering.

So do try keeping the little Kubota going, full knowing that it mostly likely will need replacement at some point.

Teir 4 emmisssions may change where even smaller units will get very complicated. Costs of tractors are going uo. To replace my L39 would be $50K as equipped.

I would hate to be a one tractor farmer. There is just so much you can do with a smaller tractor. Handy does not nearly decribe a good small tractor. I'd dread the day I could not have the versiitlity of having a machine for the biggger stuff and dirt moving, and a smaller unit for the typical farm stuff.
I say to myself all the time, what would i do without it, but more aptly, if i did not have the tools, the work would not happen. i would not even try.

My 6000 hour Komatsu has a Mitsubishi motor, and only smokes less than 1/2 a pack a day. It's never been rebuilt and runs a smoth as a Civic 4 cylinder.

I think the Max 28 derived from the Cllub Kadet, that also was built by Mitsubishi.

I have not seen many problems with the MAX 28, but I kind of freaked when I saw a large percent of posts on Mahindra dealing with problems, more so than the Kubota forum.
This would be a big purchase for me as building the new home & farm really took a lot out of us finacially.

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment
I don't know what forum you have been reading but I haven't seen a lot of dissatisfied with Mahindra Max 28. I have had mine for over 2 years, it was one of the first off the line. It has done everything I have asked and more. You might narrow your search for Mahindra Max 28, I image you can find fault in any brand if you look hard enough.

You are correct, regarding the Max 28 not getting bad press, and I appreciate your feedback.

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #7  
Remember what you said about Kubota resale. You will get your money back out it that is the brand you feel most comfortable with.

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #8  
A Kubota with similar specs is Plus 20K.

That I am not so sure about, as I have bought several Kubotas well under $20K with specs as good or better than the Max 28. They were in the $15K range (B2920) and $18K range (L3200). Both larger than the Max 28, one size up in the case of the B and two sizes up in the case of the L.

As for the Max 28, I don't think there are any issues with them at all. My neighbor has one, and it's been great for 2 years. The fit and finish is good, compared to some other Mahindras where it's a little spotty. The only thing to watch for would be tire size, as I have seen Max 28s come with all different tire sizes. My neighbor's machine has very small R4 tires, almost like a riding mower. So be sure you are getting the largest tire size available if ground clearance is a factor.

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #9  

Thank you.
The Max28 is made by Mitsubishi. The next size up is built by TYM in Korea. Does Mahindra sell any made-in-India tractors in the US?

/ Definitly having doubts about making a Mahindra Commitment #10  
The Max28 is made by Mitsubishi. The next size up is built by TYM in Korea. Does Mahindra sell any made-in-India tractors in the US?

You're joking right? :confused3:

The Max and 16 series tractors are made by Mitsubishi.

The 10 series are made by TYM for Mahindra using what Mahindra tells them to use.
IMO, if you want a 10 series, by a TYM, you will get more for less money.

The 25-4500 and 30-5500 series tractors are Mahindra's economy tractor, built by Mahindra in India.

The 35-3500 and 60-Mpower machines are their deluxe tractors, built by Mahindra in India.

ALL of these tractors are available to be purchased in the USA. :thumbsup: