Mahindra 6500

/ Mahindra 6500 #1  

Oregon

I just found this site, and am probably asking a question that has been answered a million times.

Mahindra tractors are new to our part of the country, and I am considering the purchase of a 6500. I have semi-retired and leased most of the farm to others, and only farm from 20-40 acres anymore. I started looking for a 55+ PTO horse tractor to handle my hay equipment and for keeping up the small amount of land I still do farm. I am used to John Deere and Massey Ferguson tractors, but have given up on the new little models because they are so light and prone to breaking. The Mahindra looks like a real tractor, made for real work, so what is wrong with them, if anything?

Anyone have one with 50 horses that has some real hours on it? I expect a tractor to last me about 7,500 hours without any mechanical failures. Is that reasonable for this brand?

/ Mahindra 6500 #2  
Probably not a bunch of hours on any here as the "00" series tractors only started coming into the states about 2 or so years ago. I've had my 6000 since early spring and as I have a "day job" (till I retire in March '05), I've only got about 70 hours on mine. The engines are very strong and are very likely 3 to 6 HP under rated based on dyno reports I've heard of. Mahindra is the new International as they orginally were licsenced to build IH's in India since the early '60s. They are the third largest producer of tractors in the world (that what they claim anyhow). Austrian designed engines and Carraro trans/differentials. Heavy as heck. For the buck you get a good bang. My $.02 worth. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra 6500 #3  
I was at the dealers a couple days ago, and saw the prototype of the new 7000 series, and was it ever a real tractor, 70 something horses, and you don't have to ask "Where's the Beef".

Keep your eyes open for this one.

Les

/ Mahindra 6500 #4  
I have a 6500 with about 40 hours on it. So far so good. After babying it for the first 25 hours, I've started working it pretty good, although not pushing it to the limit yet. That will come in another 10 hours.

I'm using it primarily to skid out logs. It is a great woods tractor. It has a good turning radus and pretty good clearance. With the loader, loaded rear tires and chains on all 4 wheels it can pull a nice load (with winch, total weight around 10,600 lbs). Once it is completely broke in, I don't think I'll have any problem pulling 10,000+ lb. hitches (probably have to load bucket).

The only think I'm a little disappointed with is the lift capacity of the 3 point hitch. It doesn't seem to have the full 4,000 lb. lift capacity. Can't pick up any more than my old tractor with 3,000 lbs. lift. Dealer is going to check it out.

Bob

/ Mahindra 6500 #5  
Oregon,

I have a 6500 4x4 being delivered to my lot in Northern California today. It will be my first look at the big one, as we generally sell compacts.

/ Mahindra 6500 #6  
I just unloaded the beast. 4x4 with loader and R4s. I can carry around the little 2015's in the bucket. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Mahindra 6500 #7  
Dave: How about a few pics for us in the east to admire, must be nice to operate your equipment in shirt sleaves..........Pics,pics,pics /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Mahindra 6500 #8  
Here is a pic....

Attachments

• 366449-P1010005.JPG
    366449-P1010005.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 431
   / Mahindra 6500 #10  
pic 3 of 3. Remember the little 2015 in the picture for comparison is a 2500lb machine (with loader), quite a bit bigger than the BX sized tractors. The 6500 is huge!

Attachments

• 366453-P1010007.JPG
    366453-P1010007.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 442