Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table.

/ Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table. #1  

mike69440

Elite Member
Tractor
1984 Kubota B7200D (Sold 2015,) 2005 L39 Kubota, 2006 RTV 900 1997 Komatsu PC75UU2E w/ Thumb & Blade, 2013 Mahindra Max28XL Shuttle
Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table.

I am putting forth a group buy offer for a custom fit 3 pt. hitch combination weight box, heavy duty 2 hitch receiver, work platform designed to fit the Mahindra Max 28XL.

What is unique about the attachment is that it is multi purpose and not obtrusive. Being specifically designed around the Max 28 the attachment is very compact, nesting nicely within the spread of the lower stabilizers.
The 2 receiver extends only 6 beyond the lower stabilizers.

I measured the Max 28XL OAL with the loader bucket 18 off the floor. It measured 15?3 long x 54 wide, The Max 28 tractor seems on the large side of a æ•—mall compact tractor.

A main goal of my design is not adding significant length on hinder maneuverability.

The weight box is designed to hold a poured trapezoidal concrete block, that weighs 375 Lbs per foot of height. If you pour an 18 tall block including the weight of the attachment, you will add over 650 lbs ballast to the tractor.

If less ballast is need several 16 x 16 pavers can be stacked and held together with some ratchet strap tie-downs.

The kit will include will 4- ï½½ stainless steel concrete anchors for bolting the an monolithic concrete block to the floor of the attachment. The attachment itself weights over 90 lbs, and is constructed of .25 minimum 3 X 3 and 3 X 2 A36 L Angle. The floor is heavy gauges expanded metal with flat bar support.

To load and remove the block, removable lifting eyes or some U shaped rebar cast in a pocket can be added for lifting while slowing the top of the block to be flat.

Removal of the entire attachment with or without the weight should be as straightforward ad connecting any implement to the 3 pt hitch.

Included are bolting provisions for mounting a back work bench tool carrier to the top of the attachment. I知 planning to use the cargo carrier as my tool tray, just grind off the receiver tube and mount to the angel at the top link on the front and a pair of support legs in the back.
For example:
Amazon.com: 48" Hitch-Mounted Cargo Carrier Gear Tray & Hauler Rack: Rage Powersports: Automotive

I値l also be able to haul firewood with a larger carrier I have mounted in the 2 receiver.

2 Receiver and the cross beam specifically designed for use with the Ripper Sub-Soiler for Three Point Hitch Receiver described below
https://heavyhitch.com/store/heavy-hitch-accessories/heavy-hitch-ripper/

I have an old small snow plow blade that I am going to attach to the receiver for snow clean-up around the buildings.

The attachment allows positional control and will be furnished with a special Cat 1 short upper link. The bar for the lower stabilizers is .875 dia. 300 Series Stainless.

Being winter and I have other items on the agenda to outfit my Max 28 tractor for the hard life it will live, I値l keep this on this forum to Until Jan 20, 2015 to determine if anyone else feels this is worthwhile to go in on.

I have decided a weight box is a better choice than loading the tires as Rotary cutting a muddy field or working on soft ground you have a lighter tractor that as necessary can add a lot of ballast.
Although you do not have to usually deal with them often, Loaded tires are quite the pain.

Please PM me if interested or have questions or comments.

PS

I've increased the brace to the uprights for the renderings posted.

Attachments

• 3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Top Link End_Weight.JPG
    3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Top Link End_Weight.JPG
    264 KB · Views: 1,646
  • 3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Hitch End_ Bot With Block.JPG
    3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Hitch End_ Bot With Block.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 885
  • 3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Hitch End.JPG
    3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Hitch End.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,803
  • 3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Top Link End.JPG
    3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Top Link End.JPG
    288.6 KB · Views: 464
  • 3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Hitch End2.JPG
    3 X 3l L Angle Wieight Box _ISO View_Hitch End2.JPG
    263.2 KB · Views: 601
Last edited:
   / Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table. #2  
Re: Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work tab

I am interested to see how well it works with the top link hole that far forward of the bottom pins. It will increase the angle of the receiver hitch as it raises.

Last edited:
   / Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table.
Re: Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Angle of the dangle

I am interested to see how well it works with the top link hole that far forward of the bottom pins. I will increase the angle of the receiver hitch as it raises.

Xfaxman,

You are completely correct in that the design will change angle nearly as much as if the front of the box was attached to a fixed hinge. A long top link keeps the attachment angle from changing much with position.

To keep things tucked close to the tractor, unfortunately my linkage is like a car suspension with a short arm, long arm design with really compromised geometry.
I did consider this in the design.

As a trailer hitch rotates on the ball, at least for a tow hitch over reasonable height changes, say +/- 5" This should not be an issue,

For attaching a plow / subsoiler, this can be an issue as plows work best at a certain angle in various soils. However the angle can be somewhat compensated as there are different hole for height adjustment so you can use the hole adjustment plus the 3pt positional control to adjust the angle & height to some extent.

Connecting the weight box to the tractor with say a 500 Lb. block in it is not a really possible without craning it into position UNLESS you are smart enough that when you removed the weight you do the following.

Back the tractor's weight box over a pair of 8' cement block straddled by some short 4 X 4's

Now drop the weight box on the blocks and undo the hitch.

To reattach, connect the lower stabilizers first, then connect the top Links and adjust everything.

If the weight on ground level the short link does not have enough adjustment to connect, so don't do that or have the means of hoisting the weight to connect.

I'm still tweaking the design for cost and manufacturability. if there are suggestions on features, I'd like to hear your ideas.

/ Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table. #4  
Re: Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work tab

Build in a quick hitch on the rear of it.

Bruce

/ Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table. #5  

Similar to when loading tires, they do not act as counter weights the further back the weight is, the more it "counters" I would not get hung up on hugging too tight to the tractor as if you look at different tractor link sway control devices you would have to make the angle quite a bit sharper. You will need to custom make a top link. I would make it square, tall and narrow, put the lower link pins inline with the upper (at back of box). Too close to the tractor may also interfere with or damage a folding Rops if its folded and you accidently raise the counter weight. Mine comes very close. Its a handy idea and you could add a provision for two lower link positions for those looking for more counter effect. As well, for mine, just make a plywood box and pour your own concrete. Remove plywood after if you want. The Receiver hitch is a useful addition to my counter weight. Heck I might even paint it some day. One last point, I made a logging winch for the 3pth and made it so it tucked up close to the tractor and then found I had to loose the draw bar. No big deal with the receiver included.

/ Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table. #6  

This is my scrap metal framed, concrete filled counter weight. I have about 1 inch clearance on folded rops and counter weight in full up position

Attachments

• DSCN8170.jpg
    DSCN8170.jpg
    972.7 KB · Views: 720
   / Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment 2" reciever, Weight Box, Tool Carrier/work table.

Build in a quick hitch on the rear of it.

Bruce

Funny how that occurred to me last night also.

If I did such an animal, the top link would want to be conventional length, the weight would need to be lighter, have a smaller footprint and be cast in such a way to provide clearance for the longer top link. Very doable.

Also wimpy tractors may not like the weight combination of the counter weight and the attachment, although the Max 28 should not have a problem except for a large box blade or heavy duty rotary cutter.

d

Similar to when loading tires, they do not act as counter weights the further back the weight is, the more it "counters" I would not get hung up on hugging too tight to the tractor as if you look at different tractor link sway control devices you would have to make the angle quite a bit sharper. You will need to custom make a top link. I would make it square, tall and narrow, put the lower link pins inline with the upper (at back of box). Too close to the tractor may also interfere with or damage a folding Rops if its folded and you accidently raise the counter weight. Mine comes very close. Its a handy idea and you could add a provision for two lower link positions for those looking for more counter effect. As well, for mine, just make a plywood box and pour your own concrete. Remove plywood after if you want. The Receiver hitch is a useful addition to my counter weight. Heck I might even paint it some day. One last point, I made a logging winch for the 3pth and made it so it tucked up close to the tractor and then found I had to loose the draw bar. No big deal with the receiver included.

Adding holes for some extra CountyLine® Lower Draw Pins, Cat 1, S070208TSC so that you can position the box more outboard is a good idea, and gives the option of using a std. top Link. I Would need them to be removeable as they will interfere with the fixed outboard draw pin.

The Short top link is a commercial item.

This is my scrap metal framed, concrete filled counter weight. I have about 1 inch clearance on folded rops and counter weight in full up position

I will verify if the counter weight frame will hit anything on the tractor with the 3 pt. lifted full height, It just might. CAD is good for checking that.

Certainly the factory stowed top link mounted the tractor would hammer into everything if the 3 Point were raised.
It might be wise to remove the top link off the tractor with the weight box, then again there are stops on the position control lever.

Locally 80% of the tractors are Kubota's and I know them real well.
Kubota tractors in general are really light for their size, and need some serious counter weight.

Complete Rethink.Re: Max 28XL Custom 3 point attachment, "Back to the drawing Board"

Complete Rethink.
I wish to thank you all for your input to help me come to my senses to abandon my first concept.
I put a lot of time into that, only to realize It is not going to serve its intended function well.
Had I continued down that path, I壇 have wasted even more time & effort

There were too many compromises in my forest concept

Reordering the priorities of my design and end function goals, I am completely abandoning the initial concept.

The priorities I have established are:

1. Value.
2. Ease of use, has to exceed all conceivable other methods.
3. Functionality and versatility.
4. Features and benefits.
a.) Must be quick attach for implements, Modification will be made to allow mounting of the vast majority of 3 Pt Implements. Slop and looseness of mount to be reduced.
b.) Modified Quick Hitch stays on tractor and remains compact.
c.) Provisions provided for Quick Attach counter weight. All lifting and hook up hydraulic lift assy. Locked in place by pins. Will use std. top Link and allow for motion of 3 Pt Lift. CW sits between back of tractor and 3 pt Quick hitch. The Counter weight will not interfere with mounting non PTO attachments. The Counter Weight will have to be removed to use the PTO, however �No Tools required and features of design make Counter Weight removal and install a 1 minute chore. Top link can be adjusted with CW in Place.
d.) All hardware and instructions provided to correctly and easily cast in place the pour your own counter weight attachment.
e.) Removable small tool carrier to mount to counter weight block.
f.) QA new design economical extremely rugged mount for ripper / sub-soiler/ plow adjustable for angle and engagement.
g.) Functional 2 receiver that does not interfere with PTO Operation.

Starting with the attached in the Photos, it will be refitted to accomplish all of the above.
As designed, the Harbor Freight 3 pt Quick hitch has some limitations.

For instance, it will not mount my Box Blade, but from a value standpoint, this is the place to start for my implant carrier.

Attachments

• P1030062.jpg
    P1030062.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 679