hydraulic fluid foaming after suction strainer cleaning and filter change

/ hydraulic fluid foaming after suction strainer cleaning and filter change #1  

jrchafin

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahinda 7520
So in all the recent work on my tractor, I decided to do some maintenance as well, and I cleaned the suction strainer and put on a new suction filter. I didn't see anything in the manual about bleeding the system after this. I assumed it would pull the air through until it got to the reservoir and then be out of the system. But ever since I did this, I am getting jerky, erratic hydraulic movement. I topped off the reservoir with the same oil that's already in there, and confirmed that it's full. The oil is not dirty or unusual in appearance. Today after running a bit I checked the level and noticed the fluid was foamy. Hmmmmm. Was I supposed to bleed something after introducing all that air into the system? Anybody else have this problem and a solution?

/ hydraulic fluid foaming after suction strainer cleaning and filter change #2  
You are sucking air somewhere. Check the clamps on the suction line or possible oring on the suction screen housing.

/ hydraulic fluid foaming after suction strainer cleaning and filter change
Thanks Gin. Going to do that tomorrow. Anybody have any tricks for finding suction leaks? One site said to put oil on the seam and look for a hole forming in the oil, but that sounds unlikely to be successful, especially given the limited view of everything in that area. It would be so nice to just spray with soapy water and look for bubbles! :D

/ hydraulic fluid foaming after suction strainer cleaning and filter change
Turned out it was easy. Just needed to screw the hose clamps down harder on the suction line. Piece o' cake. :thumbsup: