Mahindra 3616 won't start

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #1  

Atlfinfan

Tractor
2014 Mahindra 3616 HST
Greetings everyone.
As you can tell, this is my first post. I'm having a first time problem with my 2 month old tractor. I normally use it almost daily so this is really screwing things up for me. Thursday, I did a few easy things on the tractor and it got very muddy on the tires and axles so I washed it off with the hose. I went to use it yesterday and it wont start. When I turn the key, after the glow plug light goes out, it makes a little....tink.......sound. Like someone hits a coke can with their fingernail.........and that's it. No attempt to turn over, no nuthin.....just a ..........tink. I called my dealer and they are going to send the guy out here Monday morning, but IF I can get the solution on here, I would be very grateful.
I have checked the 50 amp fuse and it's ok. I was low on fuel, probably close to out, so I have added fuel. (I only mention this in case there is some sort of protection thing to keep you from running the thing out of fuel, where it won't start. Fat chance probably, but.....) The battery post was corroded so I cleaned that up. I have about a 10 IQ in mechanics so there is that too. This is about all I know to do.

What ch'all think? (That's a little bit of 'southern' typin)

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #2  
Welcome. Congratulations on the purchase of a great tractor. Obviously it shouldn't be the battery, but I wonder why the post corroded so soon. Check the end of both battery cables for a loose connection.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #3  
Also check the battery ground cable where it connects to the frame and the plus side cable connection at the starter.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #4  
make sure the pto lever is in the off position and the clutch is in.

It's pretty easy to snag the pto lever with your coat or bump it with your arm.

Common errors for a newbie. :)

The 'tink' is the glow plug relay kicking off...normal sound.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #5  
Also check the battery ground cable where it connects to the frame and the plus side cable connection at the starter.

Check your battery voltage ,or use jumper cables to try and start it. If the cable was badly corroded the battery may not have been charging properly before you cleaned it.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start
make sure the pto lever is in the off position and the clutch is in.

It's pretty easy to snag the pto lever with your coat or bump it with your arm.

Common errors for a newbie. :)

The 'tink' is the glow plug relay kicking off...normal sound.

I might need to explain something here.......
The 'tink' sound happens when I turn the key. Every time I turn the key..........after the glow plug light has gone off.
I didn't get to check the battery cables today. Wife had other plans. Will do tomorrow, I hope.
Thanks for the suggestions.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #7  
I might need to explain something here.......
The 'tink' sound happens when I turn the key. Every time I turn the key..........after the glow plug light has gone off.
I didn't get to check the battery cables today. Wife had other plans. Will do tomorrow, I hope.
Thanks for the suggestions.

The switch noises still sound ok. relays kick on and off in various positions. Check the pto lever before you do anything. Start with the simple things first. good luck.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #8  
OK, the tink sound may be the solinoid on the starter (as it does this every time he hits the key)...OK ATL...let this be a lesson (grin)...tractors don't need/want to be hosed off after they are used...I'm guessing you may have "hosed" something on the electrical side around the starter...these things are made for the dirt...actually, having grown up on the family farm, a good coat of grease/dirt actuall protects some of the tractor, some of the time (also a 'grin', but true).. Good luck with your new tractor. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start #9  
I lean toward an improper ground or a failed starter. Could be a bad switch as well. The thoughts of BobG seem to ring true with these tractors. As a matter of fact, if I recall correctly, the manual states not to squirt the dashboard area with any high flow water source.

/ Mahindra 3616 won't start
OK guys. I DID state that I had about a 10 IQ with this stuff.

AND the WINNER is.................................

Old Pilgrim.

I had hit the PTO lever. I haven't even used the pto yet so I wasn't even considering THAT to be the problem. Actually, THAT wasn't the problem.............The 10 IQ was the problem. 10 might be pushing it.........I feel like an IDIOT, but I can at least laugh at myself. At least the dealer won't have to show up and waste his time figuring THAT out.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will still be here for THE LAUGHS........even if I'm the target. You get what you pay for......