Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #1  

John Dougherty

Bronze Member
Tractor
mahindra max 28xl shuttle
So, after using my 28xl for ten hours, here's my impression. First of all, I will say that I have no regrets on my purchase of the Mahindra Max 28xl shuttle. So if you don't like what I say, realize that I am trying to school potential buyers, not put down anyone else for their opinion. I think that this is the fun of these forums, to have and express your opinion. It is only my take on things and I respect the opinion of other owners. You'll notice that I don't compare it to other brands. Nor do I think that my opinion is the last word. Not hardly. I am just trying to start a conversation. I'm examining my tractor, not some other brand. They all have pluses and minuses I would imagine. I would like our tractor to be a little better than it is.
1. First, I think that the fit and finish is nothing exceptional, only average. Okay, maybe I am comparing brands...guilty as charged. But not really. I'm just not that impressed. With a BH and Loader, this is a $20k machine. Pretty serious money where I come from. The design is good, but there are some issues. An example is that it is awkward to check the oil in the engine. Another is that it doesn't have a cup holder. The reason for that is that this unit is a shuttle and the space is occupied by levers. Big deal? Not really, but it would be nice. Too hard?
2. No tool box. Remember, I said I wasn't comparing this to other brands. Others may not have one either, but it would be practical and convenient. Chains, a cresent wrench to spin the 3pt stabilizer?
3. Seat. The seat is an abortion. It has virtually no padding and is small. Let's face it, most of us that can afford these tractors have developed a fair size behind. Why? There is limited space to spin the seat around for using the BH. No excuse for the poor padding though.
4. Attaching a 3pt. attachment is difficult. The arms should have some passive/spring loaded arm that keeps them apart while backing up to an implement. This would help when the operator is alone.
5. The power of this machine is very good. It just won't quit. Remember, I have a shuttle transmission w/ clutch. The shuttle is not for everyone. It can be a little awkward to use for some.
6. Caps for the hydro hoses. There should be caps to cover the fittings when not in use. You can couple your fittings, but in my case, there is one left over.
7. Instruction/manual. I think that there should be a dvd with the manual. The manual is nothing exceptional. Actually, I found it lacking. The pictures were okay, but the extent of their information was weak. There is so much more that could and should be included. Very weak, indeed.
8. Hooks on the bucket. Okay, that's wishful thinking, but it would be useful and thoughtful.

So, hope I haven't pi**ed anyone off, but I still maintain that for $20k a tractor should do just a little bit better. As I said, I am pretty happy with my purchase, but a little more thought could have gone into what the customer needs.
I hope that I haven't aggravated anyone enough to do more than provide constructive input into improving an already excellent tractor. My hope is that we can have a constructive dialogue that improves an already fine tractor.

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #2  
Good user review.

I think you're right about a dvd manual. In this day and age it should be standard. Is it just the shuttle shift that doesn't have a cup holder? My 26xl has one on the left side of the ROPS. I agree a small tool box would be handy considering these cost as much as I paid for my 2010 Malibu new off the lot a few extra's would be nice.

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like
Good user review.

I think you're right about a dvd manual. In this day and age it should be standard. Is it just the shuttle shift that doesn't have a cup holder? My 26xl has one on the left side of the ROPS. I agree a small tool box would be handy considering these cost as much as I paid for my 2010 Malibu new off the lot a few extra's would be nice.

Thx Tonka for the support. I am not trying to gore anyone's goat, but I think that maybe we could do a little better.
JD

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like
It's not late here, but I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get some s**t in the morning for some reason on this subject.
JD

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #5  
I didn't see much that you liked about it besides the power.

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #6  
Probably should have bought a different tractor.

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #8  
1. First, I think that the fit and finish is nothing exceptional, only average. Okay, maybe I am comparing brands...guilty as charged. But not really. I'm just not that impressed. With a BH and Loader, this is a $20k machine. Pretty serious money where I come from. The design is good, but there are some issues. An example is that it is awkward to check the oil in the engine. Another is that it doesn't have a cup holder. The reason for that is that this unit is a shuttle and the space is occupied by levers. Big deal? Not really, but it would be nice. Too hard?

The fit and finish is not really important to me, it is a tractor, not a BMW. I wholeheartedly agree with checking the oil, on the 3016 it is not easy at all. Mine is a shuttle and the 3016 has pseudo cup holders on the rear fender. The problem with the mfg. installing one is someone would complain their 64 ounce Big Gulp wouldn't fit and if they put a big one in then someone would complain it was too big. It is much easier to let the owner add his/her own. Again, this is a tractor, not a BMW.

2. No tool box. Remember, I said I wasn't comparing this to other brands. Others may not have one either, but it would be practical and convenient. Chains, a cresent wrench to spin the 3pt stabilizer?

The tool box would be nice, but if they put one on, many people would complain it wasn't big enough or cheaply made. I would imagine they left that off so people could add the one they prefer.

3. Seat. The seat is an abortion. It has virtually no padding and is small. Let's face it, most of us that can afford these tractors have developed a fair size behind. Why? There is limited space to spin the seat around for using the BH. No excuse for the poor padding though.

No complaints with my seat, the lack of space is a tractor size issue not a functionality one. The Max28 is a small tractor, you should expect some compromises.

4. Attaching a 3pt. attachment is difficult. The arms should have some passive/spring loaded arm that keeps them apart while backing up to an implement. This would help when the operator is alone.

They make quick attach's for that reason. It is the same on the majority of tractors on the market, cut a piece of wood to the right length to hold the arms where you want them. It will help but this is always an issue when working alone.

5. The power of this machine is very good. It just won't quit. Remember, I have a shuttle transmission w/ clutch. The shuttle is not for everyone. It can be a little awkward to use for some.

No argument here, these are little workhorses. I run out of traction long before I run out of power.

6. Caps for the hydro hoses. There should be caps to cover the fittings when not in use. You can couple your fittings, but in my case, there is one left over.

Eh, most people would either throw them away or never take them out of the bag.

7. Instruction/manual. I think that there should be a dvd with the manual. The manual is nothing exceptional. Actually, I found it lacking. The pictures were okay, but the extent of their information was weak. There is so much more that could and should be included. Very weak, indeed.

I have seen far worse. The manual is useful for out in the field where a DVD would not be.

8. Hooks on the bucket. Okay, that's wishful thinking, but it would be useful and thoughtful.

These are so easy and cheap to add, if they added them, someone would complain they are not the right ones for the task they need them for, better to let us add what we need rather than have someone else make that decision for us.

So, hope I haven't pi**ed anyone off, but I still maintain that for $20k a tractor should do just a little bit better. As I said, I am pretty happy with my purchase, but a little more thought could have gone into what the customer needs.
I hope that I haven't aggravated anyone enough to do more than provide constructive input into improving an already excellent tractor. My hope is that we can have a constructive dialogue that improves an already fine tractor.

Honestly, I wouldn't want them to change much about the tractor other than the dipstick. I bought mine to work with, not be judged at a show, I didn't buy it for the cup holders, I bought it to work with and it has done a fantastic job at everything I have asked it to do.

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #9  
Very good post on what improvements you would like to see on your Mahindra. I think all of your ideas are reasonable. I have an LS tractor about the same size as yours, it is the economy model,which means no rubber floor mat,no cup holder, and a seat from ****. I made a cup holder out of a piece of capped pvc pipe clamped to the rops, made my own floor mats out of a rubber floor mat,(turned out pretty nice)'and for now,I just put some old foam cushion under the seat, which helped quite a bit. Every thing else about this tractor is great, it has been trouble free, and is a real workhorse. Oh, and total money spent on those homemade improvements,12 dollars. I know Mahindras are quality tractors, but they probably have to leave a few thing off to be price competitive with other brands in that category, which is a big consideration for the future owner.

/ Max28xl shuttle Things I like and don't like #10  
Should have went with a 35 series. Good seat, cup holders, telescoping 3pt arms for easy hook up, tool box, I did have to put my hooks on the bucket though.:D