4035 FEL Question

/ 4035 FEL Question #1  

tjus77

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
I used to run a Kabota tractor (probably around 30hp) for a horse boarding facility that gave away its mulch to gardeners. I remember the FEL being able to tip the bucket and bring down the arms at the same time with a minimal slow down compared to doing the operations separately. I've been doing some dirt work and have really noticed the nuisance of having to do it in two stages because it is SOOOO slow doing it together. Is this a function of the controller valve, if so can that be swapped? Or is it just a function of the ability of the hydraulics of the tractor?

Thanks for the input and sorry if this was discussed elsewhere (I couldn't find it).

TJ

/ 4035 FEL Question #2  
I would assume it is just a difference in the valve, the hydraulic output is about average for this class of machine. You have to feather things just right to not have one operation overpower another, but once "in the zone" it seems to operate as well or better than others I've used, KWM makes a great loader and they're used on a variety of machines.

Considering most of the hydraulics connections are standard I wouldn't see why it couldn't be changed out. Mounting might require some creativity.

/ 4035 FEL Question #3  
I used to run a Kabota tractor (probably around 30hp) for a horse boarding facility that gave away its mulch to gardeners. I remember the FEL being able to tip the bucket and bring down the arms at the same time with a minimal slow down compared to doing the operations separately. I've been doing some dirt work and have really noticed the nuisance of having to do it in two stages because it is SOOOO slow doing it together. Is this a function of the controller valve, if so can that be swapped? Or is it just a function of the ability of the hydraulics of the tractor?

Thanks for the input and sorry if this was discussed elsewhere (I couldn't find it).

TJ

Most FEL valves can do two functions at the same time

If you use only one function, you get the full pump flow.

When you use two functions, you divide the flow and things slow down, which is logical.

/ 4035 FEL Question #4  
I understand what he is saying. I have a 5035 and it you lower and tip bucket at the same time both funtions almost stop! I operated a kubota also and the loader on the kubotas operate at about twice the speed with aproximately the same fluid flow. I also wondered and have ask that question on here before. Apparently kubota's are much more effecient with their valving? I have operated loaders on several brands of tractors and I have to say, Mahindra's seem to have the slowest loader I have ever operated!

/ 4035 FEL Question #5  
From the KWM site, troubleshooting steps on their loaders:
KWMTroubleshootingSlowLoaderDump.JPG

Could it also be the cylinders used to achieve the higher lift capacity on that Mahindra versus a similar Kubota simply take more fluid to actuate? Being same or similar on hydraulic flow, it would take longer to operate larger cylinders. So it is something to consider.

Out of curiosity, at what RPMs are you generally running the machine? Perhaps a lil more go-juice would help. I generally run about 2000-2200 when doing loader work and that seems to be the sweet spot for me, but I'm not after speed much, I just consider that a minimum for proper functionality of the loader (the backhoe likes more). When I'm doing two functions I generally feather one way to start the first function and ease toward the second function while holding the first steady. Once both are reacting I ease into it at an angle, adjusting to maintain the ratio on each. Once "in the zone" all this happens naturally and appears to be single fluid motions. On the dump, if you push too far into the fast-dump region of the control, any secondary action does tend to puke, perhaps this is something else to consider. Loaders and hoes generally like lots of fluid flow (higher RPMS) and a feather-light touch on the controls.

/ 4035 FEL Question
Yes, I generally operate at 2000-2200 RPM, which does make it less noticeable, but definitely slower than Kubota. As I was telling my dad, I guess since it can lift more, it has to be a little slower than another brand. Not a big issue, like a computer, speed is relative and you don't notice how slow it is until you get a new one that hauls butt. Love my tractor! On the troubleshooting guide, my tractor has a little less than 100 hours and has always operated this way, but thanks for the info.

/ 4035 FEL Question #7  
I understand what he is saying. I have a 5035 and it you lower and tip bucket at the same time both funtions almost stop! I operated a kubota also and the loader on the kubotas operate at about twice the speed with aproximately the same fluid flow. I also wondered and have ask that question on here before. Apparently kubota's are much more effecient with their valving? I have operated loaders on several brands of tractors and I have to say, Mahindra's seem to have the slowest loader I have ever operated!

I think the faster speed of many Kubota loaders is a combination of 3 things.

1. The loaders have modest sized cylinders, good for speed, not so good for lifting power.

2. Most Kubotas have a bit more pump capacity comparing size for size.

3. They design many of their own loaders & valves so they are nicely matched to the machine.

/ 4035 FEL Question
Interesting thing I have found recently. I unloaded about 14 round bales from a trailer, of which 4 were double stacked. Don't know the weight, they seemed pretty tight (those that the horses hadn't munched on by the time I got there) and about 4x4 at least. When I brought the arms down and rotated the fork up at the same time (full upper left hand position on the control lever), the speed was actually perfect for that heavy weight. Came down and tilted at the perfect speed with no bounce. Guess I just needed to play with a little more weight. By the time I was through I was pretty proficient with unloading. Maybe they knew that they were doing after all, and should just give lessons. Can't wait to do some dirt work again and see if I can find the sweet spot there.

/ 4035 FEL Question #9  
It only gets smoother and better with seat time. It's likely no better or worse than what you're used to, it's just different from what you are used to. I've never been on two different models of machines that felt the same and I always feel like a jerky newb operating a piece of equipment I'm not accustomed to.

Happy you're finding the feel of it, and thanks for letting us know it's beginning to work out better for you. :thumbsup:

/ 4035 FEL Question #10  
Loader capacity wise, the 4035-5035 machines give the commercial Kubota machines an good challenge, and flatten most of their other loaders. Control wise & hydraulic capacity wise, my L39 has me spoiled.

With most not all Kubota's they do a fair to good job of with their valve contols, not industrial pilot valve control, but better than the big haying Mahindra where we get our hay and my little Max28 Shuttle.

So, based on limited experience, Mahindra, not so much.
PS
The Old Kioti's like the 3054 really were way worse that Mahindra! That's bad!
I do't think we would like cars from the 1980's either.