4035 stalled while idling

/ 4035 stalled while idling #1  

RedFirstGen

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035
Was doing some stone work today with my tractor. At one point I was racking out the stones by hand while the tractor just sat and idled. It was probably idling for 10 minutes and all of a sudden it just started sounding like it was losing power and few seconds later it quit. I hopped back on it and it fired right back up and seemed to run fine otherwise. Anyone have any insight as to why it might have stalled out? I didn't let it idle that long again so not sure if it would have done it again or not.

/ 4035 stalled while idling #2  
fuel shut-off solenoid... there are a few out there that had problems with them...mine included...mine would just shut off, didnt think that much about till it happened a few more times, then the last time it did it - it wouldn't restart at all... connector was full of water and so was the soleniod...dealer replaced it and not a bit of problems since

/ 4035 stalled while idling #3  
Never had a fuel shutoff issue on my 4035 (nor have I seen anyone else have that issue on their 4035). If it had been running for right about 20 minutes total, it was likely the KSB timer shutting off the cold start assist. For a cold start assist, the Bosch injection system runs at an advanced timing for the first 20 minutes of each startup, and then shuts down commonly causing the engine to run rough for a moment or sometimes stall when at an idle. I just keep mine at about 1500RPM if I'm leaving it set for a couple minutes if the cold start hasn't yet kicked off. After the first twenty minutes and the cold start assist kicks off, then I idle it as needed. Just keep in mind that the cold start assist kicks on every time you start the tractor, no matter how warm it is.

Some information on the Bosch system:
Bosch VE - Appropedia: The sustainability wiki

/ 4035 stalled while idling
Thanks guys. I would say 20 mins is about right. I had done 2 or 3 buckets worth when it happened. It was idled all the way back (or forward depending on how you look at it). (1000rpm). When I let it idle after that I set it at 1500 rpm each time before I hopped off. I didn't really have a great reason just felt like the thing to do. :). I'm hoping thats it but time will tell for sure obviously. Thanks again. This forum rocks.

/ 4035 stalled while idling #5  
If you continue to have an issue with it wanting to stall at 20 minutes, it is also amplified by the bad batch of fuel lines they had. Check and make sure your fuel lines are the newer style high pressure type hoses rather than the older style that had the braided covering on them.

Below is an example. The style of hose on the left with the braided covering is bad. If your lines are plain jane autostore fuel hoses or are like the ones on the right, you're good to go.

Updated%20Fuel%20Line.jpg

/ 4035 stalled while idling
They are the braided type. :(

/ 4035 stalled while idling #7  
Contact the closest dealer. They are a known issue and replacements are warranty. I think they may even replace those out of warranty being a known issue.

/ 4035 stalled while idling #9  
Sysop,

You totally got this figured out. Fuel lines, check. KSB, check. Fuel solenoid (thanks J Wilson), check. In that order. I'd for sure, right now replace all of those black braided lines. It is way more of an issue than diesel leaks, they will let air enter into the fuel system, causing no starts and hard starts. When we replace them folks say, "wow, it starts so fast".

Great advice.

/ 4035 stalled while idling #10  
Just living the dream and trying to share. :)

Great bunch of folk here for the most part, much better than other corners of the interwebs. I enjoy reading and learning from all of you and from life, then I just parrot it back to the next new guy it'll maybe benefit.