COLD STARTING

/ COLD STARTING #1  

SJM

Does anybody have experience starting there Mahindra diesel tractor in cold to very cold conditions? My temps range between -20 and +30 in winter ?

/ COLD STARTING #2  
The coldest that I've started my 2810 in has been about 7 above, no problem. What model do you have & has it been a problem?

/ COLD STARTING #3  
I have a 4110 model and this year we had 28 days straight of zero or way, way below zero counting in wind chill factor. On the coldest morning, 18 below ambient, about 25 below wind chill, I had to hit the glow plug three times in a row. Then it started right up. Some times glow it twice, usually only once. Overall, not a problem at all to start in cold weather.

/ COLD STARTING
It's a 4110. That arrives Sat.
Just wanted to know how the glow plugs helped and if I should be needing a hose heater or block/pan heater as well. Glad to hear you both have had little problems. Thanks Steve

/ COLD STARTING #5  
your profile doesn't tell where you live. I wouldn't be afraid to get a block heater at all. I'm saying that my machine can and does start without a heater.. although, a block heater would make it quicker and easier on all.. Go for it if that's what you think should happen.

/ COLD STARTING #6  
I have a 2810 with a block heater. Haven't used the block heater once this year - and it's been COLD. Minus 0 temps and it started up after once - twice the most with the glow plugs. Question is, how long do you let it warm up in those temps?

/ COLD STARTING #7  
I let it idle for 10-15 minutes then use the machine. I have a long driveway (1600 ft) and it has a constant climb out to the road, so I go slow even after warmed up..

/ COLD STARTING #8  
As another fellow has said, put in a block heater or inline heater, and use it. Makes the tractor smile.

Egon

/ COLD STARTING #9  
Well, fortunately I don't have this problem---I think that I saw ice twice this year. But that doesn't keep me from throwing my two cents' worth in.

My suggestion would be the following: Keep a cup of your engine oil in the vicinity of your tractor. On those cold mornings pour it into a second cup. Then ask yourself: Am I confortable that my pump can suck that up and distribute it liberally through my engine?

FYI in my younger (and wealthier) days I used to own fancy sports cars (like Porsches) until my collection of other toys (like boats) demanded more practical vehicles (Read: Towing ability). I instrumented many engines for coolant and oil temperatures and always found that they ran virtually the same. So you can look at your coolant temperature gauge and that will tell you with a high degree of certainty what your oil temperature is.

Regards,

Michael A
Cypress, Texas

/ COLD STARTING
I live in Jemez Mountains of New Mexico. It can get -20 at night. Most nights are 0to10. Most days warm up nicely into the 40s 50s. I'll be using it to move snow around mostly during the winter.