First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD #1  

rwsem

Tractor
Mahindra 4540 4WD
Put 6.9 hrs on the new tractor- completely satisfied with that decision. I hemmed and hawed about shuttle and hydro shift tractors but in the end decide on the old standby, tried and true, simple transmission, 4540 with fel. I removed a few sweetgums with the fel for practice; no issues. Bought a 6' cutter and pulled it through 4' blue stem, 10' tallow, and 6' winged sumac; no issues. I was cutting in 93 degree weather for 4 hours before the dial even came close to red but it never did crack that line. When shifting, I pushed the clutch in half way, waited for the stop, waited about two more seconds, and slipped it into another gear. As long as I remembered to do that; no grinding. The tranny will let you know real quick when you do it wrong....
Thanks for helping me make an informed decision. Regards, Ron

2015-09-20_12-56-19_127.jpg 2015-09-20_14-58-07_525.jpg 2015-09-19_13-11-56_90.jpg

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD #2  
I blow the radiator fins out with air after every mowing session on my 4510 Mahindra. It has really helped to keep the temps below the red. Just a suggestion.

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD #3  
Hi Rwsem,
I'm also considering a Mahindra 4540 4wd with gear shift transmission. I want to use it to keep pastures mowed, move round bales and occasionally move some dirt. Is it bothersome to keep shifting gears on the gearshift tractors? I'm also looking at a Massey Ferguson 1742 with Power shift.
Jeannette

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD
Jeannette, Shifting is not an issue to me. Come to a stop, wait a second, shift, then go; too easy. I'm not using the FEL all that often so when I do I just remind myself to not be in a hurry. The farm is hobby time, not a way to make a living so I have a lot of time... If I were to use an FEL to support a living I probably would go with a hydro or shuttle shift. My consideration for buying the standard gear was reliability/ ruggedness/ simplicity. Ron

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD #5  
I have no problems with the old time gears on my 4025. Also take yanmars advice in cleaning the radiator fins, I do the same after a day mowing. Enjoy your new machine.

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD #6  
Hi Ron,
Thanks for some very good insight. I drove the 2540 shuttle shift today but decided also to keep it simple. I'm not going to make a living using the tractor and reliability/ruggedness/simplicity are what's most important to me too.

thanks again,
Jeannette

/ First Weekend on the 4540 4 WD #7  
Thanks for the good advice yanmars. I have plenty of grass to mow so I'll have to keep that in mind.