mid mower blades

/ mid mower blades #1  

BlackOps

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 25
serious question - the mod mower blades - how does one get access to them to sharpen them without having the dealer do it?

That unit is so freaking heavy - it seems impossible to tip up and then stabilize with one person. do not need to do it yet - since i have not used them yet but i was wondering about this for a while now.

i think the unit is about 475 lbs. or some such thing.

/ mid mower blades #2  
I would consider a chain hoist or come along if you had a place strong enough to hang it.

/ mid mower blades #3  
Do you have the FEL? I use my FEL to lift the deck on mine.
Another option is to drive up on ramps and remove them from the bottom or sharpen them while on the deck.

/ mid mower blades #4  
Do you have the FEL? I use my FEL to lift the deck on mine.
Another option is to drive up on ramps and remove them from the bottom or sharpen them while on the deck.
You can rig this to be very convenient. The icing to make it so is having a small impact wrench you can calibrate at its stall point to tighten them back up. Full power to loosen of course.
larry

/ mid mower blades
Thanks! Hmmmm.... i will have to think through this a bit more.

/ mid mower blades #6  
I take my mmm on and off all the time and flip it over by hand often. I would say it is quite heavy and awkward but it is doable, especially if you have a helper. That being said, It would be easier sharpening the blades while they are still on the tractor/mower if you have a means to do so or better yet- remove the blades while up on a ramp as suggested. Its just not as easy to get the right hone on them while they are still mounted. I pull my deck off regularly to perform other task with the tractor when I need the ground clearance and prevent damage to the mower. I just try to do the deck maintenance then while its off. I bought a second set of blades now and just swap them out and sharpen them at my convenience.

/ mid mower blades #7  
Definitely FEL. I have a drive over deck, use a chain to lift it with the FEL. I have a axle stands to store it vertically if I'm leaving it off. My back is very grateful.