Block Heater - Nebraska

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #1  

JMC68301

Tractor
2015 Mahindra mPower 75P, 1963 Allis Chalmers D-15
Finally made up my mind on a tractor, Mahindra mPower75p. Better half is worried (or maybe not) that I'll be a stranger....

I do not believe mine is coming with block heater assembly. Have asked several dealers along same general lat. and long. if I need and they uniformly suggested with the new engines not needed. I'm dubious because with my old, tractors (and I mean old - early 60s to mid-70s) I knew not even to try to crank if that wasn't plugged in for a few hours in January.

Question, do I have dealer install or not needed in eastern Nebraska?

Thanks

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #2  
Up here in Ma, I was surprised when I found out that I didn't even need a battery maintainer to winter start mine. I hard wired a plug on mine so I could plug in a 1 amp charger to keep the battery warm, as a cold battery loses about 1/2 it's cranking power. I used it for a month and on a whim, didn't use it, and found it started just about as easily.

This year I switched to synth oil which should help even more.

Dunno about your particular motor but I thought I would share my winter tractor story.

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #3  
You most likely don't need a block heater on a newer diesel tractor. I installed one on my Kubota (2006) and it was a simple task. It heats the engine quick and therefore I would not recommend leaving it plugged in because it would be a waste of electricty. I used mine once since I installed it and that was only because it was there to use. I plug it in for an hour and the engine is plenty warm. A warm engine is easier to start than a cold one, but my cold Kubota starts just fine during the winter. We generally range about 15-20 degrees in the winter here in CT. So do you need one, probably not. Will it help your tractor start easier in the winter, yes.

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    326.2 KB · Views: 3,888
  • Install.jpg
    Install.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 2,044
  • Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    333.9 KB · Views: 2,323
   / Block Heater - Nebraska #4  
Do your temps get down to -20F and lower? If they do, then by all means get the block heater. Don't ask the dealer TELL him that you want a block heater.

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #5  
Even if the motor will start without a block heater . You are still ahead of the game pre-heating. Less wear, less oil dilution and less fuel burned. Less time and fuel to "warmup". In particular with machines and vehicles with windshield defrosters.
If you can't afford 1-2 hrs of power and a timer. You should not have a tractor or vehicle .

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #6  
To heat or not to heat. Thats a good question. I'm sure the ECU corrects for ambient temp and starting would not be an issue. My concern would be the cold oil. What would Charles Engles do?:):)

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #7  
Block heater retails for $133. For that price I'd put it in.:confused3:

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #8  
My concern would be the cold oil.

do you worry about cold oil in your car which runs at much higher rpm's than your tractor?

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #9  
A real group IV synthetic oil pretty much eliminates lubrication concerns . Group III and mineral oil, take your chances.

/ Block Heater - Nebraska #10  
I have it on my Kubota M7040 and use it regularly in NE Nebraska. It seems to start much better and the heater blows warm air much quicker when I am hurrying to move snow to leave for work. I know it costs to run it but everything in life is a tradeoff and this one makes sense for me.