7520 Shift LInkage? Shifting Forks?

/ 7520 Shift LInkage? Shifting Forks? #1  

for instance John

Tractor
Mahindra 7520
Have been experiencing problems with 2005 7520 shifting into 1st and 3rd gears. Grinding is not pretty, need to push hard on shift lever. 1st is very difficult to engage and sometimes it wont go at all. 3rd gear seems to be better and as I walk through the gears 2nd, 3rd & 4th work OK in any range H, M, L. Shuttle works OK, adjusted clutch play. Looked up "gears not meshing" in the owners manual and there is an "*", not really a whole lot of help. Looking for shift linkage and or shifting forks, can anyone give me a general direction to uncover these. Do I come at it from up top, underside? Looking to lubricate and inspect for bent or displaced linkage as recommended elsewhere in this forum. Thanks :dance1::cool2::confused3::laughing::confused2::drool:

/ 7520 Shift LInkage? Shifting Forks? #2  
Does it shift ok with engine off. ... What about engine on and stationary? -- If it grinds only when moving it sounds like broken synchronizers.

It doesnt sound like shifting forks or linkage to me. Does it ever pop out of 1st?

/ 7520 Shift LInkage? Shifting Forks? #3  
Affecting 1st and 3rd gears makes me think it is some part of the 4 speed shifter. That is the only place 1/3 have a link in common -- a push forward on the shifter. In the actual trans 1/2 share a shift fork and 3/4 share another. No commonality there. :confused3:

/ 7520 Shift LInkage? Shifting Forks?
Affecting 1st and 3rd gears makes me think it is some part of the 4 speed shifter. That is the only place 1/3 have a link in common -- a push forward on the shifter. In the actual trans 1/2 share a shift fork and 3/4 share another. No commonality there. :confused3:

Yes it will shift with the engine off. Yes with engine on and stationery, however the shift movement/positioning falls short and when the clutch is released, the grind begins. With the shift lever forward, and trying not to grind gears a lot, a little pushing and moving back and forth with the lever will engage 1st gear on occasion. Third gear was doing same thing the last time I drove the tractor (used only 2-3 hours a month) but yesterday it was working fine.

OK, so I'll start with a look at linkage, if that doesn't help then I think we'll ship it off to the local dealers shop.

Thank You!

/ 7520 Shift LInkage? Shifting Forks?
Have been experiencing problems with 2005 7520 shifting into 1st and 3rd gears. Grinding is not pretty, need to push hard on shift lever. 1st is very difficult to engage and sometimes it wont go at all. 3rd gear seems to be better and as I walk through the gears 2nd, 3rd & 4th work OK in any range H, M, L. Shuttle works OK, adjusted clutch play. Looked up "gears not meshing" in the owners manual and there is an "*", not really a whole lot of help. Looking for shift linkage and or shifting forks, can anyone give me a general direction to uncover these. Do I come at it from up top, underside? Looking to lubricate and inspect for bent or displaced linkage as recommended elsewhere in this forum. Thanks :dance1::cool2::confused3::laughing::confused2::drool:

OK Update: Traced speed shift lever to speed shift lever housing. Took off cover plate, noticed that when shift lever is pushed forward it crawls out of the 'bush cam link' because it is cam link is broken. This little bushing is the socket for the shift lever ball. When the shift lever is forward it slips out of the broken socket and you notice that the lever is not locked (detent) in position and the transmission not in gear, grind, grind, grind! Hopefully day after tomorrow I'll scoot down to dealer and picks one up! Yahoo, thought it was going to cost thousands!