Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #1  

crtractor

Tractor
Mahindra EMAX 25
Hello,

My first post here.

I purchased a EMAX 25 this spring and love the tractor. When I purchased it I had them install a Coolant engine heater that heats the coolant in the lower radiator hose.

While starting this summer without the heater plugged in, the timer for the glow plugs would turn on and after the plugs went off the tractor started perfectly.

Now that is is cold out, I plug in the engine heater for a few hours or more and got to start the tractor. When I turn the key on, the glow plug timer will not turn on as the engine is warm from the coolant warmer. So trying to start the tractor with warm coolant but no glow plugs turning on, it is tough to start.

I can't seem to over ride the GP timer and manually heat the glow plugs.

Is this a possible issue with wiring where I should be able to manually heat the GP, or does the coolant heater create more issue than just heating the GP's without the coolant heater to start it easier?

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #2  
If you turn the key backwards it (past the off position). It should manually cycle the plugs. I do that with my emax when it's in the teens and colder for a second glow plug cycle. I've found that it starts with less belching and coughing after two cycles in low temps.

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25
Thanks Matt,

I've tried that, but when I turn it back, while warm from engine heater, the GP light format come on. Do the GPs activate when the dash light doesn't come on?

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #4  
Hello,

My first post here.

I purchased a EMAX 25 this spring and love the tractor. When I purchased it I had them install a Coolant engine heater that heats the coolant in the lower radiator hose.

While starting this summer without the heater plugged in, the timer for the glow plugs would turn on and after the plugs went off the tractor started perfectly.

Now that is is cold out, I plug in the engine heater for a few hours or more and got to start the tractor. When I turn the key on, the glow plug timer will not turn on as the engine is warm from the coolant warmer. So trying to start the tractor with warm coolant but no glow plugs turning on, it is tough to start.

I can't seem to over ride the GP timer and manually heat the glow plugs.

Is this a possible issue with wiring where I should be able to manually heat the GP, or does the coolant heater create more issue than just heating the GP's without the coolant heater to start it easier?
It is my understanding that you can not run a block heater or any type of heater on an eMax, as the computer senses engine temperature and adjusts the glow plugs accordingly.
So if it sees a warm engine it will not turn glow plugs on or only for a very short time, yet the air comming in is very cold and it will start hard or not at all.

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #5  
Thanks Matt,

Do the GPs activate when the dash light doesn't come on?
No. The ECU controls glow plugs according to ambient temp. You may want to try just the glow plugs for now and see were the temp is at when you have a hard time starting. thats the temp you need to start pluging it in to heat.:thumbsup:

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #6  
The ECU controls the glow plugs by coolant temp not by ambient temp as it has no sensor for air temp only a coolant temp sensor. This is why you can not run a block or lower hose heater.

No. The ECU controls glow plugs according to ambient temp. You may want to try just the glow plugs for now and see were the temp is at when you have a hard time starting. thats the temp you need to start pluging it in to heat.:thumbsup:

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #7  
The ECU controls the glow plugs by coolant temp not by ambient temp as it has no sensor for air temp only a coolant temp sensor. This is why you can not run a block or lower hose heater.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of the air pressure sensor located on the ECU mount.

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #8  
a relay controlled by the starter circuit . That switches a fixed "cold" resistor/temp sensor would be a solution . Or a manually controlled glow plug supply.

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #9  

We do not have truly cold weather where we are, but if the block heater heated the coolant enough to make the ECM think it does not need much glow, would not the tractor start OK with such a warm engine? Or is the ambient air so cold as to not allow the air/fuel to ignite even in a "warmed" engine?

Just curious.

/ Glow Plugs and Engine Heater EMAX 25 #10  
engine coolant and oil is warm, but fuel going it to cylinder heads is still cold