Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538 #1  

LA Confederate

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538
In reading my manual on the glow plug operation on my tractor, it says if you turn the key backwards you can manually engage the GP. I did that both on a somewhat warm day as well as on a very cool morning. In both cases the tens were in the mid 40s or so. None of my attempts ended up with the GP light coming on and likewise, the GP light ha never come on when I try to start the machine. I did pull the fuse box cover under the steering wheel and the GP fuse appeared to be fine.

Can anyone clarify if this is a normal condition or do I need to look further? If it's normal is there a intake temp sensor that tells the computer to activate the GP system?

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538 #2  
Is this an open chamber diesel with an intake manifold heater? Or a precombustion chamber diesel with glow plugs . Two different designs and the term "glow plug" does not "fit all" description.

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538
That's a good question and I don't know the answer. When I read "glow plugs" I assumed whoever printed the material is accurate in they actually Do have glow plugs and not an intake heater. I do know that the engine is a direct injection common rail design but the specifics of the "glow plug" system is not identified.

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538 #4  
A parts book would explain all. Or tracing down if the high current heater supply wires are connected to the intake manifold or to terminals screwed into the cylinder head.

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538
So I thought I'd post an update for the benefit of everyone. Yesterday the dealership called and told my wife the tractor was ready to be picked up (I was snoozing because I was going on nights).

When I went to get it the service writer gave me the run down. They had actually went through the owners and service manuals because they reference glow plugs. However when they called Mahindra they were told that the tractor does indeed have an intake grid heater that is only functional at temperatures below a certain point. I think he said around freezing but I may be wrong. They also went and duplicated the same action on the other 2538s they had on the lot.

Also while they were troubleshooting they found a bad relay somewhere else and replaced it.

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538 #6  
Good deal.. you will hardly notice the plug light being in LA.. glad you got it figured out:thumbsup:

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538 #7  
So I thought I'd post an update for the benefit of everyone. Yesterday the dealership called and told my wife the tractor was ready to be picked up (I was snoozing because I was going on nights).

When I went to get it the service writer gave me the run down. They had actually went through the owners and service manuals because they reference glow plugs. However when they called Mahindra they were told that the tractor does indeed have an intake grid heater that is only functional at temperatures below a certain point. I think he said around freezing but I may be wrong. They also went and duplicated the same action on the other 2538s they had on the lot.

Also while they were troubleshooting they found a bad relay somewhere else and replaced it.

I believe my L39 has a n intake air heater, starts good.
can anyone confirm if the Max 28 has one?

/ Another Glow Plug Question on a 2538 #8  
I made my way to this thread due to a problem I am having with my 2538 HST. The instrument panel does not light up for the following items: 2x4, parking brake, forward/reverse, low fuel, or the glow plugs. All of the other lights work for other functions. It's sounds like the glow plug light may not come on until colder temperatures. (I will park it outside this winter to test) I have checked all of the fuses. Does anyone have any ideas on what the issue may be? I am going to have my dealer do the 50 hour service and will have them look at it then if no one has a solution that I can try.