12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #1  

JoeyDude

Tractor
Mahindra Max 28XL
One of the minor annoyances about my Mahindra Max28 is that it has no cigarette power plug. This ranks right up there with the lack of a cup holder.

So, I've installed one onto the left side dash control overlay cover plate. IMG_5245ts.jpg

The dash is a bit of a pain to take apart and linuxman51 did a write up of his removal during his light install. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-owning-operating/349663-max-26-work-lights-woo.html The cover plate is attached from behind with two little phillips screws that you have to remove to get the plate off. IMG_5238ts.jpg

The backside of the cover plate has a circular reinforcement in exactly the spot I wanted to use, as if Mahindra had planned to put an outlet here, too. IMG_5248ts.jpg

I laid out some reference marks (I'm planning to install a light switch next to the outlet) on the cover plate and drilled it out. IMG_5250ts.jpgIMG_5249ts.jpg

Here is the completed outlet all wired up. IMG_5255ts.jpg

The wiring is pretty easy to run. I added a tap to the battery and ran overkill 12 gauge wire adjacent to the existing wiring along the left side of the engine and into the dash area. An inline fuse was placed near the battery for easy access if it's ever needed.

Before I button it all up, I'm probably going to add my LED ROPS lights, which coincidentlly are the same ones that linuxman51 added. I fabricated by light mounting brackets but haven't painted / mounted them yet. I'll post when that project is complete, sometime in the next couple of weeks.

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #2  
One of the minor annoyances about my Mahindra Max28 is that it has no cigarette power plug. This ranks right up there with the lack of a cup holder.

So, I've installed one onto the left side dash control overlay cover plate. View attachment 451460

The dash is a bit of a pain to take apart and linuxman51 did a write up of his removal during his light install. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra-owning-operating/349663-max-26-work-lights-woo.html The cover plate is attached from behind with two little phillips screws that you have to remove to get the plate off. View attachment 451464

The backside of the cover plate has a circular reinforcement in exactly the spot I wanted to use, as if Mahindra had planned to put an outlet here, too. View attachment 451461

I laid out some reference marks (I'm planning to install a light switch next to the outlet) on the cover plate and drilled it out. View attachment 451462View attachment 451463

Here is the completed outlet all wired up. View attachment 451465

The wiring is pretty easy to run. I added a tap to the battery and ran overkill 12 gauge wire adjacent to the existing wiring along the left side of the engine and into the dash area. An inline fuse was placed near the battery for easy access if it's ever needed.

Before I button it all up, I'm probably going to add my LED ROPS lights, which coincidentlly are the same ones that linuxman51 added. I fabricated by light mounting brackets but haven't painted / mounted them yet. I'll post when that project is complete, sometime in the next couple of weeks.

What are the advantages to your installation? What is a good reason to have this outlet on your tractor? When not in use will you have the cig lighter plugged into it?

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #3  
I have a Mahindra eMax22 cup holder was standard equipment but no power plug. I just purchased a cigarette power plug to install next week looks like it can be done without much trouble. I would have thought it would be standard equipment in 2015.

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #4  
Cup holders? Power plugs? Must be a townie thing. :)

Is that for Pads, Pods and such? Or do you plug in your GPS to find your way home? :laughing:

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28
What are the advantages to your installation? What is a good reason to have this outlet on your tractor? When not in use will you have the cig lighter plugged into it?

The advantages are that I can keep my cell phone charged, or my music playing, or to top off my battery from a charger (I wired direct to battery), or for when I pull my lawn fertilizer sprayer which runs off 12 volt.

Really, it can run anything that needs 12 volts, and I won't have to open my hood to attach alligator clips to the battery.

Also, if you look at the picture of the completed installation, you can see that the outlet has a rubber cover on it to help keep moisture and debris out when not in use.

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #6  
I would have put the plug in the rear and a switch for it on the dash. Otherwise; Dangling cords will just be a nuisance. What are you going to do with the power cord? Throw it over your shoulder or let it get tangled around your ankle?

Not making fun, just trying to see the value of a power outlet on the dash of a tractor. :confused3:

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #7  
I can see the use of a trickle charger so as to not raise the hood.... There is value there. I own a Husqvarna Lawn tractor and it has a cellular phone holder and a 12vdc accessory port. (I never use it)
The fact that the OP said, "Cigarette Lighter" amazes me!! Been almost 30 years since the port was used for it's intended purpose; perhaps he is a smoker? My wife is- and constantly uses the port for what it was designed for.... to light her cigs. Apologies to those who have 'new cars' and smoke. Ash trays are a thing of the past.
I think that his idea is brilliant, but would use it personally for a lighter and one of those high fangled trickle chargers if I owned one.

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28
I would have put the plug in the rear and a switch for it on the dash. Otherwise; Dangling cords will just be a nuisance. What are you going to do with the power cord? Throw it over your shoulder or let it get tangled around your ankle?
Not making fun, just trying to see the value of a power outlet on the dash of a tractor. :confused3:
There was no mounting location anywhere else on the tractor that would allow for a clean, recessed installation. And it's still easier than stringing an alligator clipped wire from the battery every time I need power. It might not be everybody's cup of tea but I'm very happy with the install.:):D

The fact that the OP said, "Cigarette Lighter" amazes me!! Been almost 30 years since the port was used for it's intended purpose; perhaps he is a smoker?
Hahaha! Nope. Not a smoker. Is the vernacular "power port" rather than cigarette lighter? :confused3:

I think that his idea is brilliant, but would use it personally for a lighter and one of those high fangled trickle chargers if I owned one.
Thanks!

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #9  
Great install and writeup JoeyDude!

12v outlets are like a FEL you never know when you'll need it but your glad you have it when you do!

and yeah that is a nice weather proof outlet :D

/ 12 volt outlet on Mahindra MAX28 #10  
There was no mounting location anywhere else on the tractor that would allow for a clean, recessed installation. And it's still easier than stringing an alligator clipped wire from the battery every time I need power. It might not be everybody's cup of tea but I'm very happy with the install.:):D

I did a somewhat similar thing, but ran mine to an area beneath my seat so that I could plug in a ROPS mounted amber "whoop-whoop" rotating light. I only plug that in if I'm driving on a public road.

Hahaha! Nope. Not a smoker. Is the vernacular "power port" rather than cigarette lighter? :confused3:

I understood exactly what you were referring to. If you can find a car cigarette lighter these days, it would fit right in and still function.