Loader Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold?

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #1  

DigitalCowboy

Tractor
Mahindra 3535
Having issues with the hydraulics on my 3535...

A bit of back story here, bought my tractor in winter of 2013 in WI. I used it to blow snow(among other things) and frequently would be starting it up in very cold weather... down as cold as 0F. It would have to idle for a very long time... maybe 10minutes or more before any of the hydraulics would work. Once I did get something to move, I was good... loader would move "stiffly" but a couple of cycles up and down and we'd be good to go. I kinda figured it was really cold and although it seemed like an excessive amount of time to warm up everything I didn't worry too much about it figuring that was just the nature of the tractor in that weather. What I'd usually do is just leave the 3pt hitch lever in the "raised" position and when the snowblower lifted up, I knew I was ready to go.

Well here we are, I've moved 300+miles south to west-central IL and the tractor came with me. I've had two incidents in the past month that are making me worry that I have a problem. First time it was around 30F out and I'd just brought home a trailer full of round bales to unload. Started up the tractor, much as in WI the hydraulics didn't move. I'm not timing this but I think it was a good 15minutes of idling before everything freed up which to me seems excessive. Finally with the loader moving I drove it down the driveway and over to where I had my truck(a good distance) and moved the loader up and down along the way to help things warm up more. I came up to my trailer, started to line up on a bale, tried to adjust my loader angle.....and nothing. Everything stuck again, nothing will move. Idled another 5min or so... still stuck. I had an idea and had my wife hold the loader control in the(not sure the term) curl up position while I lifted up on the bale spear as hard as I could.... felt almost as if something popped loose and it came right up. Hydraulics worked perfectly and I got my hay put up.

Then just today, I took a bale out to the horses. Again it's around 30 and I just let the tractor idle for a long time. Once stuff was working, I picked up the bale, took it out to the pasture, set it down.... no trouble. Then I drove around to the other side of the hay hut(we have a plastic feeder that covers the round bale from weather/slows the horses eating. it can be moved by hand but loaders are easier). I lowered my bale spear, put my spear under it, tried to lift it and...... dead. No hydraulics again. I had my wife come over, preparing to repeat the fix from last time but when I was showing her what to do, miraculously the loader started moving again and I was able to finish the job.

This stopping after things are warmed up problem is new and it's worrying me. Before once it was going, I was good. Should I try to contact a local dealer for repairs, attempt some DIY maintenance like change the hydraulic fluid/filter? Is this just common cold weather stuff and I shouldn't worry? Tractor only has about 85 hours on it...

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #2  
what type of transmission does it have?

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #3  
Try warming it up at 1500 rpm with the PTO engaged (without implements) Diesel does not warm up at idle very much. It causes fuel to condense on the cylinder wall.

After about 5 minutes at 1500 rpm cycle the FEL a few times to move warmer fluid in an cold fluid to the hyd system. Let warm up at 1500 rpm for another 10 minutes. If this does not solve the problem there could be air in the system or low on fluid. Operate the FEL at 2000 to 2500 rpm.
Start with the simplest cause first then progress to the more difficult.

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #5  
One other thing. You stated the tractor has 85hrs on it. Was the 50 service performed as scheduled? If so was the suction screen cleaned when the fluid and filter were changed?

If the problem does not clear up with the above mentioned then time to get the dealer involved with a warranty claim. I would avoid much DIY while under warranty.

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #6  
At 30 degrees this is not normal unless the hydraulic fluid is a very heavy weight. Most universal tractor hydraulic fluid is in the SAE 15 - SAE 20 range. These should flow at 30 degrees.

Since you have moved do you have a local dealer that could look at this? I would want them to perform a flow & pressure test on the pump. Then move onto other possible components. Since you never mention the pump being noisy it makes me wonder if there is another flow path for the oil since typically a caveating pump sounds like a rock crusher.

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold?
There's a dealer 50 miles away... I really hate doing that because of the cost to have it transported plus what's worse is this is my only tractor. I don't use it every day... or even every week but when I need it I really do need it. Dealers seem to like to pick up machinery and sit on it for a week or two while they work on something else. That's really a pain for me.

I haven't done the 50 hour service yet... I've actually only seen vague references to it on the internet. My owners manual doesn't seem to mention it so I don't know what it actually consists of. Filter&fluid change? Engine oil still looks new on the dipstick so I figured I'd change the engine and trans oil/filters in the spring.

Can anyone link me to what's done at a 50 hour service? This is a 3535 gear... I'd rather try some basic fluid/filter changes even in the cold winter before having to go the dealer route.

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #8  
Might try a call to the dealer and see if someone can stop by and observe the problem. May be a simple fix.

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold? #9  
What does your hydraulic oil look like? If it is light and milky instead of clear it might be contaminated with water. Water in oil drastically changes the warm up time and sensitivity to cold. The problems you describe sound like water to me.

/ Hydraulic problem or just normal for cold?
What does your hydraulic oil look like? If it is light and milky instead of clear it might be contaminated with water. Water in oil drastically changes the warm up time and sensitivity to cold. The problems you describe sound like water to me.

The oil on the trans dipstick that's next to the PTO looks clean and new like it just came out of the bottle.