mahindra 4025 intake heater and knock

/ mahindra 4025 intake heater and knock #1  

TXMike06

Tractor
Mahindra 4025 4wd
I couldn't get my tractor to start after using it for a while today and started checking the basic fuses and was getting no power to the starter when turning the key. I checked the safety switches and they all were good and then I noticed with the key on the intake heater had a small puff of smoke come off so I tried to tighten it up and it didn't do anything. Then I loosened it up and forgot to turn the key off and hit the hot wire to the ground wire and fried the timer..... so I put it all back together jumpered it all out and turned out the pto handle was just barely pushed back and caused the safety switch to engage.....

so now the tractor starts and I jumpered out the glow plug timer but the motor is knocking a lot and has no power..... so I tried to flash my jumper to make sure the intake heater was still working and it acts like it isn't pulling any load. so is my intake heater bad as well and would that make all this knock and lack of power since the motor is cold? will it hurt the tractor to run it without the intake heater working? thanks.

/ mahindra 4025 intake heater and knock
Ok I must have been wrong about the no power just knocks. I fired it up this morning and it ran good just has some knock. I don't want to run it long in case something is wrong. No warning lights came on. It's not an insane amount of knock I guess but noticable. It has a big puff of white smoke on startup but that seems normal for the glow plugs not working.

/ mahindra 4025 intake heater and knock #3  
virtually all diesels will knock until they warm up. It's the combustion making the noise, nothing mechanical.

My glow plug/intake heater is bad.... I took it out and the filament was broken..... What are the chances something fell down into the intake from a glow plug going bad?

/ mahindra 4025 intake heater and knock #5  
My glow plug/intake heater is bad.... I took it out and the filament was broken..... What are the chances something fell down into the intake from a glow plug going bad?
Ouch! That sucks, potentially. ... If thats the least bit likely I would expect Mahindra would have a screen around it - or some other positive exclusion. :( - Does it look like a piece is missing; or the wire just parted?

My 7520 has an intake heater and this gets me worried.

Looks like the wire just broke. It doesn't look shiny so I wonder if it's been going bad and I just happened to find it.

Hopefully nothing fell in the motor. I called a diesel mechanic buddy and he said he doubts anything fell in. He said he's pulled bad glow plugs and the ends were gone and never did anything to a motor.

I pulled the air intake hose so I could see down in th manifold better and there's kind of a low spot right under the glow plug. I hadn't drove the tractor so I would hope any piece that broke would fall in that low spot and the motor wouldn't have enough suction to pull it in.

My buddy said to drive it since if something was in the motor it's in there already so I drove it and it finally quit knocking and no oil lights or anything came on.