New Max 26XL possible issue

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #1  

Cramby

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra Max 26XL TLBMMM
I took delivery yesterday of a new Max26XL HST. Delivery man new very little about the tractor, my salesman who was supposed to come out is out of town until next week. My issue is when just driving around the yard in hi range, it would not even go up a small hill, until I switched to low range then no problem. It has a FEL, BH, and MMM attached right now. Is this normal? Any thoughts about this? I am going to call the dealer today and ask about it.

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #2  
Someone should chime in on this, I own a Shuttle shift (manual tranny) and don't have that issue. From what I have read here on the forum it seems like the 'high range' is for level ground. I am not sure how to interpret small hill as you have described.

Hang in there and before long someone that has your tranny will elaborate on theirs. Welcome to the TBN community!

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #3  
Just to make sure have a look and make sure the park brake is not engaged. It's worth a look, tap the brakes and see if it releases.

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #4  
That is normal . I am sure you were idling around in HI range and tractor quit moving . As set up that tractor is fairly heavy .

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #5  
What RPM?

HST pedal fully depressed forward or just a light to medium touch on the pedal?

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #6  
the way an hst works............ the further you press the pedal, the higher 'hydraulic gear' you are in. If you let off on the pedal you go into a lower 'hydraulic gear'. The hst is infinitely adjustable 'gear' wise.

That being said, the shift-able high gear levels are often too high to do much except move from point to point, that's why larger machines have 3 speeds.

Your situation sounds normal, just drive accordingly.

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #7  
the way an hst works............ the further you press the pedal, the higher 'hydraulic gear' you are in. If you let off on the pedal you go into a lower 'hydraulic gear'. The hst is infinitely adjustable 'gear' wise.

That being said, the shift-able high gear levels are often too high to do much except move from point to point, that's why larger machines have 3 speeds.

Your situation sounds normal, just drive accordingly.

Answers why I have the Shuttle!

/ New Max 26XL possible issue #8  
i've had a gear and an hst. I'll never have another gear... it's infinitely more finely maneuverable.

/ New Max 26XL possible issue
Thanks all for your input. Dealer says machine is set up heavy and hi range for level surfaces. Low range no problems at all, was out digging with backhoe tonight, was surprised how powerful it is. i didn't mention I also have tires loaded.

/ New Max 26XL possible issue
Thanks OP, you are dead on with your post. BTW thank you for your service. Vietnam vet? If so welcome home. I have 2 of your 4 badges, NRA, Masonic, only different US Navy 76-80.