Emax 22 Starting Problems

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #1  

Snmstuntbikr1

Tractor
Mahindra Emax22
Looking to get some insight and advice on an issue I have been experiencing.

I picked up my Emax 3 weeks ago and have only 9hrs on it currently. Today was the third time i have experienced a starting problem with the machine. In all instances, the engine would crank but not start...

First time: shut down machine after letting it idle for a few minutes. Would not start after 15mins of letting it sit. after checking a few items, eventually moved the valve on the fuel filter to the opposite open position and it started.

Second time: a few days later, was driving across the yard and shut the machine down without idling to talk to my neighbor. A few minutes later would not start. Tried the valve again, nothing. Opened the bleeders in the fuel filter and pump, let some diesel come out and it started up.

Today was the third issue: Tractor had been parked in my garage for 24-36hrs. Was 30's overnight, 70 degrees in the afternoon when I went to move it. Turned key to left to let glow plugs warm up, crank but no start. Like times before, checked valve, bleed filter and pump, checked fuses; nothing helped. About to give up, I pulled the dipstick to check the oil, all good, reinserted and it started right up.

I am stumped with the issues. I have a call into the dealer, waiting for a tech to call back.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Or did I get a defective tractor? It runs and operates great in between its intermittent starting issues.

Thanks for the help!

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #2  
Looking to get some insight and advice on an issue I have been experiencing.

I picked up my Emax 3 weeks ago and have only 9hrs on it currently. Today was the third time i have experienced a starting problem with the machine. In all instances, the engine would crank but not start...

First time: shut down machine after letting it idle for a few minutes. Would not start after 15mins of letting it sit. after checking a few items, eventually moved the valve on the fuel filter to the opposite open position and it started.

Second time: a few days later, was driving across the yard and shut the machine down without idling to talk to my neighbor. A few minutes later would not start. Tried the valve again, nothing. Opened the bleeders in the fuel filter and pump, let some diesel come out and it started up.

Today was the third issue: Tractor had been parked in my garage for 24-36hrs. Was 30's overnight, 70 degrees in the afternoon when I went to move it. Turned key to left to let glow plugs warm up, crank but no start. Like times before, checked valve, bleed filter and pump, checked fuses; nothing helped. About to give up, I pulled the dipstick to check the oil, all good, reinserted and it started right up.

I am stumped with the issues. I have a call into the dealer, waiting for a tech to call back.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Or did I get a defective tractor? It runs and operates great in between its intermittent starting issues.

Thanks for the help!

When this problem happens dose the glow plug light come on when you cycle the key and try to restart ?? Is your CEL flashing a code? Lift the hood and remove the RH cover. Locate the ECU. Follow the bundle of wires coming out of it. They make a sharp bend. Is it rubbing against the air filter mounting? That was an issue with early models. Later models have rubber trim on the mount to protect the rubbing the harness.

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems
When this problem happens dose the glow plug light come on when you cycle the key and try to restart ?? Is your CEL flashing a code? Lift the hood and remove the RH cover. Locate the ECU. Follow the bundle of wires coming out of it. They make a sharp bend. Is it rubbing against the air filter mounting? That was an issue with early models. Later models have rubber trim on the mount to protect the rubbing the harness.

I checked the wires coming from the ecu. They are not making contact with any other components.

Sometimes I do notice the glow plug light come on when I cycle the key. I will always turn the key to the left to try and activate the glow plugs if need be. No CEL comes on so no visible codes. Another light I notice that comes on sometimes when it has trouble starting is the oil pressure (i believe) in the upper left corner on dash.

For ***** and giggles, i left the tractor plugged in overnight. Went to start this afternoon and she fired right up.

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #4  
So the glow plug light is coming on everytime? id put 12vs to the glow plug rail next time this happens and see if it helps... could be the relay going out...

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #5  
I had an intermittent starting issue with my emax. Dealer dealt with it since they were already picking it up for the fuel tank recall. Iirc it was a connection issue with the fuel solenoid. The tech said he had seen it a few times.

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #6  
Was it actually cranking (turning over), or just the solenoid clicking? I've been having trouble with my 3316 where the solenoid clicks, but it doesn't turn over. I have to bump the ignition several times to get it to turn over (at which point it starts fine).

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #7  
Was it actually cranking (turning over), or just the solenoid clicking? I've been having trouble with my 3316 where the solenoid clicks, but it doesn't turn over. I have to bump the ignition several times to get it to turn over (at which point it starts fine).

A solenoid clicking but not starting can often be a low battery or bad battery cable connections from the battery to the starter contacts at the solenoid. The solenoid will click with low current but there may be not enough current making it from the battery, the starter cables, though the solenoid contacts to engage and turn the starter motor.

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems
I spoke to the tech on the phone and he mentioned it could be a bad connection for the 10a ECU fuse (the one in a seperate holder, taped to the wiring harness next to the fuse box). I pulled the fuse and put some dielectric grease on the blades. Used the tractor all day Saturday and Sunday without issue.

Quite possibly the issue. Knock on wood.

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #9  
Good to hear, keep us posted. We have a Mahindra SCUT too and really enjoy having it around. Takes weekend chores and reduces them to a few hours here and there . Best of luck. Donnie

/ Emax 22 Starting Problems #10  
I am new to diesel tractors and got my first one this weekend. It is a 2016 emax 22 used with 25 hours on it, mint condition. I have a question about the glow plugs. The manual says that you turn the key to the left to get them on. I tried that and no light indicator comes on? Am I not doing that right? SOmetimes it can take like 8 seconds to turn over and it is almost 90 outside. Is this a problem? Or do they not work when the weather is hot out? Any help will be greatly appreciated and I was hoping that the manual would be more detailed and better written.

Thanks